New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How can you play Windows Media Player files on a Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MikeT

MikeT is on a distinguished road

My Dad with his new imac wants to view some files on the Borders books website that say they require Win Media Player (WMP). He tried downloading WMP for Mac but it wouldn't install. Probably user error and I'll check it out this Thursday but here is another question.

Is there a player that isn't WMP that I can install on his iMac that can play WMP files??

Thanks!

I Love my Mac!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Hi Mike T

this may help you

http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?...ayer&os=macosx

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 — Tiger and OS 9

The Flip4Mac plug-in plays Windows Media files through QuickTime. It's available at verstiontracker.com and macupdate.com, as well as on Microsoft's site.

Microsoft no longer supports Media Player on the Mac, and hasn't for a long time.

If a Windows Media Player file won't play through Flip4Mac, it's probably because the file is copyright protected with Microsoft's Windows-only DRM.
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

VLC might work. try searching it on google. i plays pretty much every file type.
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Here is another vote for Flip4Mac
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

you should download vlc player anyway because quicktime can only play a few formats, vlc can play virtually any format, even windows media files.
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Download VLC... probably the best all round support for many different video formats on MAC.
QUOTE Thanks
slashjunior

slashjunior is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)

You still need Flip4Mac. As far as I am aware, VLC can't play streaming media inside the browser.
QUOTE Thanks
core20

core20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo

VLC!!! that is all you need.
QUOTE Thanks
mbgaski

mbgaski is on a distinguished road

VLC isn't without it's issues though. When I try to seek within a WMV video I often get a (non-fatal) error message that I have to click through. The playing video also gets VERY distorted/corrupted for 3-4 seconds before it straightens out (my guess is until it hits a new key-frame).

Still, it's much, much better than MS Media Player on the Mac. That thing runs so slow you'd think Microsoft intentionally crippled it . . .
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
My Dad with his new imac wants to view some files on the Borders books website that say they require Win Media Player (WMP). He tried downloading WMP for Mac but it wouldn't install. Probably user error and I'll check it out this Thursday but here is another question.

Is there a player that isn't WMP that I can install on his iMac that can play WMP files??

Thanks!
I'd recommend downloading VLC media player for mac.... its the best there is in my opinion.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Everyone seems to be jumping on VLC here, but to my knowledge, VLC is not going to solve the original problem, because it cannot play anything in a browser window, as slashjunior said.

The program you're looking for is Flip4Mac to allow Quicktime (including its associated browser plugin) to play WMV files. Download Perian too, while you're at it, just for good measure.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

use vlc or microsoft media player for mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Liberalviewer

Liberalviewer is on a distinguished road

Any player that can play ram files on Mac and no, I don't want Real Player! Hate it!
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini with OS X Leopard Server | Mac/windows backup drive question »