New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

help opening file

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

otjatt

otjatt is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I have a problem opening .bin files. For some reason, whenever i download a bin file, my computer uses VLC to open it. I cant figure out how to change the default program to open bin files in osx. Anyone know how?
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

BIN files are Windows-only. You can't open them in Mac OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
otjatt

i am trying to install the wmp9 from microsoft's website.... http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...9/default.aspx
and it gives me a .bin file and it says that it is for mac osx:S
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

.Bin can also be a .binhex file smurfy which is Mac encoded.

Otjatt, Stuffit Expander will be able to decompress that file if you don't have the app on your Mac at the moment.
QUOTE Thanks
Justin_P

Justin_P is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, 8600M GT, iPod Classic 80Gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post

Otjatt, Stuffit Expander will be able to decompress that file if you don't have the app on your Mac at the moment.

I had that problem today, downloaded that one of that site even though I already had a Stuffit Expander version on there and it worked.
QUOTE Thanks
otjatt

worked! thanks alot!
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

If the machine still tries to have bin files start VLC, do a Get Info on a compressed bin file. Go to the bottom of the Get Info window and change the Open-with drop-down to Stuffit Expander. Then click the Change All button.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tricks a mac can do | Setting up a new office wireless network »