New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

mac to pc via firewire?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Clipse79

Clipse79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4, 1.5ghz, 512mb ram, 80 Gig HD with Superdrive....

Saw somewhere but could not get in full info. Read that you can hook mac and pc up via firewire and can transfer files? Is this true? If so anywhere I can read how to do it?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I don't know, I've not heard that before. I would think the biggest issue would be finding a PC with a FW connection. It doesn't seem to be standard in the PC world.

QUOTE Thanks
Clipse79

Clipse79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4, 1.5ghz, 512mb ram, 80 Gig HD with Superdrive....

Well there is a firewire addon bracket for my Asus MB so that problem is solved...Step 2.....Can it be done? step 3...How?
QUOTE Thanks
vxd

vxd can only hope to improve

These days "Windows Desktops Computer" do come with Firewire connection

And oh yeah, i think it can be done. When you connect using firewire it will just access the hdd making it look like a external drive.
Might be wrong, probably am..haha
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

why dont you try RJ45 connection.... works like charm.... also doesnt involve much cost
QUOTE Thanks
webjunkie

webjunkie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HD

While I can't remember if I used firewire to transfer my files to my MacBook from my thinkpad I have used it several times to transfer files between various PCs. In Windows just set up the TCP/IP settings for the connection as if you were using a crossover ethernet cable, and it should work fine.

The one caveat that I can think of is that if you're using Windows Vista then you are out of luck as MS threw out TCP/IP over firewire support.
QUOTE Thanks
musicforme

musicforme is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2008 Mac Pro - 500 GB HD - 6 GB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartyMAC View Post
why dont you try RJ45 connection.... works like charm.... also doesnt involve much cost
Unless the PC has a gigabit Ethernet card, the OP is limited to a 100 mbit connection. I believe that Firewire runs at 400 mbit.
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

MacBurg has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G

Assuming you have the firewire part sorted at the PC end, when you first turn on the mac, hold down "T" and the mac will boot into firewire drive mode, so it will just show up as an external drive on the PC. To exit you press the power button again and it will boot normally into OSX.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« a quick question about imac 20" intel | A few questions before i make the switch »