New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Reliability....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joeytpg

Guys, a simple little question for you.

How reliable Refurbished Powerbooks are?

i looking at a Refurbished 1.25 15" alum. PB down at apple.com......

can i get some opinions here please

i was thinking about getting either a 1.25 15" (previous PB model) or a new 1.33 15" Combo drive (maybe refurb.) and today i found a very interesting offert at apple.com (1.25 refub.) it looks better than a new 1.33 15" combo, it has more RAM, SUPERDRIVE, Backlit keyboard, bigger Hard drive, and the processor it's only .8 difference 1.25 vs 1.33 ........so it looks like the 1.25 is a better option.

Now, again, the question.....is it reliable to buy a previous PB Refurbished model (1.25ghz) ???

the price rocks....

P.S.

Can i get Student discount even with Refurbished products??

thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

I would definitely go for the refurbished machine. My take on Apple's refurbished products is that they should be just as, if not more, reliable than the new ones, since they've basically been checked out twice, whereas the new products have only been once. They also have the same warranty as the new products, so even if there is a problem with it, you'll be able to have it fixed just as with a new machine. As for the Education discount, to my knowledge it doesn't apply to the refurbished products.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Refurbished products are just as reliable....for the most part anyway...they're just slightly used..but apple makes sure they're coming out with as perfect conditions as possible..which means pretty much as perfect as any brand new one....

I don't know aboutt the student discount though

But I'd say if you're really wanting to save money, definintely get a refurb...
QUOTE Thanks
Joeytpg

well i definitely want to save money........BUT EVEN if i had enough money, the 1.25 seems a better deal than the 1.33 15" combo,

so i guess i'll go for the refurb! (i hope than in a month or so i can buy this machine...
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytpg
(i hope than in a month or so i can buy this machine...
Beware that in a month or so, that machine could be gone!

By the way: I was looking at some of the Refurbished G5's....It says that it comes with 10.2.7, but comes with the Panther discs...If I did a Fresh install of Panther with those discs, would I have iLife 04' with GB?

I know this is kinda off topic but.....Do you think that the G5 lineup will be All dual?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
Beware that in a month or so, that machine could be gone!

By the way: I was looking at some of the Refurbished G5's....It says that it comes with 10.2.7, but comes with the Panther discs...If I did a Fresh install of Panther with those discs, would I have iLife 04' with GB?

I know this is kinda off topic but.....Do you think that the G5 lineup will be All dual?
My refurbed eMac came with iLife '04. The listing should tell you exactly what software and discs are included.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fresh install of Os X? | New Switcher, Printer question »