New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Dual Boot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Norm

Norm is on a distinguished road

Is it true that if I have my windows xp disk that I can install it on a MAC and use the MAC programs and also my PC programs that are not MAC compatible?
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

are you going to use bootcamp or parcells
QUOTE Thanks
elbolao23

elbolao23 is on a distinguished road

well ive heard that if you have boot camp you run windows natively and run ur mac like it was a regular windows machine, all games, softwares, and all stuff
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

You can use CrossOver to run Windows Apps on Mac OS X Tiger. However, I am not sure about how reliable it is!

Check it out here: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

if you use bootcamp with xp you can only run pc programs since you make a partion on ur hard drive and u need to reboot everytime u want to switch to mac or pc. if u have parcells u can run windows in a window in mac. its not really for graphic intensive use, just normal pc programs that mac doesnt support, and you can run it while mac os X is.
QUOTE Thanks
Norm

Norm is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I would use parcels. I have a Seiko Smart Label printer and cant find a MAC edition. I assume that using parcels I could operate it on windows.
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

i would think it would without any problems. its just i cant tell you exactly because i personally use bootcamp
QUOTE Thanks
flowrider

flowrider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)

Just so you don't go looking for the wrong thing, it's Parallels no Parcells.

Parallels Website
QUOTE Thanks

651 is on a distinguished road

i use bootcamp to play counter strike every once and a while and the performance smokes on any other windows box i have used.
QUOTE Thanks
jhartford6

jhartford6 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro - 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 128MB 8600M GT

If it is just for one program you use, just use Parallels. However if you use graphic or CPU intensive programs, I would use BootCamp since then everything runs 100% smoothly.
QUOTE Thanks
kman79

kman79 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.4GHz MBP

Excuse my ignorance, but am I required to have two Keys/Licenses of Windows if I want to have both Parallels and Boot Camp for my windows OS? I sure hope not, but if someone knows, I would really appreciate the help.
QUOTE Thanks
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis is a jewel in the roughSgt Beavis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowrider View Post

Parallels Website
True, because Bill Parcells would probably wouldn't dual boot it, he would just boot it, with his kicker.

That is, if the holder doesn't let it slip out of his hands.
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowrider View Post

Parallels Website
Reading this whole thread had me laughing histerically! LOL
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but am I required to have two Keys/Licenses of Windows if I want to have both Parallels and Boot Camp for my windows OS? I sure hope not, but if someone knows, I would really appreciate the help.
I doubt it. I certainly wouldn't pay twice for your purposes whatever they might say.
QUOTE Thanks
cramar

cramar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman79 View Post
Well, under Boot Camp I installed an OEM copy of XL which I bought. Typed in the supplied key to get it working. A couple of weeks later I installed Parallels. They give you the option of using regular or Boot Camp install. With regular you must install a second version of XP. Nuts! I've got only one license. So had to use Boot Camp option, which is what I wanted anyway. Trouble is after the Parallels install I got a message that because of hardware changes (what hardware changes??), I must reactive XP. I had to contact Microsoft and convince them to give me another activation key. Real stupid Parallels install IMO.

I am entitled to an upgrade to Parallels 3, but I have to find out if installing it is going to effect XP licensing again. I'm not going through this again, and since everything is working fine, I may not upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCal and public holidays in the UK | front row problem »