New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Help! I am on the verge of buying a MacBook today but I need some quick answers...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

runback22

runback22 is on a distinguished road

I am so very close to buying a macbook but I want to know what setup would be best. I am going with the basic model but I'm trying to decide if I should go with 2 gigs of ram instead of 1 and whether or not I should buy the extended warranty. If anyone knows also, is the 2.0 ghz intel core duo 2 faster or slower than a 2 ghz pentium M with the same ram (1 gig)? I have a dell laptop right now that has the pentium M in it but I want the macbook because its much smaller and I will only be using it for word processing, music, and internet. All other multimedia will be done on my Dell. So for word, music, and internet, is the difference from 1 gig to 2 gigs of ram significant or is it overkill? As far as the warranty, how many of you purchased it and is it worth it to get one? If someone could help me with these questions I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
jamesx

from apple, you get a 1 year warranty, and you can buy the extended apple care warranty within the a year if you decide too, its a little more expensive. 1 Gig will be fine for most stuff, unless you are using really big programs. for normal use, you will not notice a difference with 1 to 2 gigs. also, the ram is pretty cheap and really easy to upgrade your self if you decide to later on, and it will not void your warranty. i cant answer your other questions but i figured i would help any way i could!!
QUOTE Thanks
runback22

cool i didnt know you could purchase a warranty later....I figured 1 gig would be good. Also if anyone knows, have the discoloration problems been fixed?
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

definetly agree with jamesx, for what you are using it for, you probably wont even notice that second gb, 1 is plently
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

well, considering that Word is still a Power PC application, the extra 1 GB might help with that.
QUOTE Thanks
jamesx

i am not sure if they have been officially fixed, but i have heard they are fine now. i have had nime for 6 months now and its been fine....your buying a good machine and will be impressed on how well it works... i dont even use my PC anymore unless i have too!
QUOTE Thanks
jamesx

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualpurple View Post
well, considering that Word is still a Power PC application, the extra 1 GB might help with that.
when i bought my macbook it had 1 gig. word worked fine. after switching to 2 gigs, the only thing i notice is that it opens slightly faster, but nothing else.
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Shannonb has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

AppleCare Protection is pretty expensive though. Youre talking 300 dollars.
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

lolz, i've had mine for 6 months too.. but mine (even though i didn't order it) came with iwork, and pages can open and export to a word file (.doc) so.. if you're worried about performance on that one program, you should probably get iwork plus you get keynote, which surpasses power point indefinitely.
QUOTE Thanks
chrisiw

chrisiw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.

I have 1gig and it seems just fine and very fast, I never switch my PC on these days as the MacBook does the lot and fast.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by runback22 View Post
... If anyone knows also, is the 2.0 ghz intel core duo 2 faster or slower than a 2 ghz pentium M with the same ram (1 gig)? I have a dell laptop right now that has the pentium M in it but I want the macbook because its much smaller and I will only be using it for word processing, music, and internet. ... As far as the warranty, how many of you purchased it and is it worth it to get one? If someone could help me with these questions I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
A 2GHz MacBook Intel Core Duo would definitely be faster than its PC equivalent, more so compared to your Pentium M. For example, my experience in booting up a Pentium M is about 2 minutes more or less, with MacBook it is only about 15 seconds. I bought a 3-year Apple Care ... this gives me peace of mind just in case something happens to it BUT it has been stable since I bought it in December 2006 from CompUSA.

Regarding RAM upgrade, you can get a third party RAM a lot cheaper and install it yourself. As some of our mates say in this forum, upgrading the RAM doesn't void the warranty. Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
jamesx

so did you buy it???
QUOTE Thanks
runback22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesx View Post
so did you buy it???

yes i did! Now I just have to wait for it to show up at my doorstep. I didnt get the warranty and the scratching situation scares me a little, but oh well. I noticed at the apple store that the white macbooks were scratched but they werent very noticeable and virtually impossible to see from a distance. Thanks for all your help guys!
QUOTE Thanks
runback22

I am looking at getting into a macbook. I would take the entry level macbook and I was wondering if the 1 gig of ram is enough for the machine to run smoothly, or is it worth it to get the 2 gigs....
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by runback22 View Post
I am looking at getting into a macbook. I would take the entry level macbook and I was wondering if the 1 gig of ram is enough for the machine to run smoothly, or is it worth it to get the 2 gigs....
What happened to the MacBook you bought in June?
Anyway, as far as the RAM the previous responses pretty much covered it:

Quote:
I have 1gig and it seems just fine and very fast
Quote:
when i bought my macbook it had 1 gig. word worked fine. after switching to 2 gigs, the only thing i notice is that it opens slightly faster, but nothing else.
Quote:
for what you are using it for, you probably wont even notice that second gb, 1 is plently
Quote:
1 Gig will be fine for most stuff, unless you are using really big programs. for normal use, you will not notice a difference with 1 to 2 gigs.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just Received My New MBP! | Software Recommendations »