New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Does forcing shut down corrupt os x?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DreamNshadow

DreamNshadow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4 MBP, 2.16 C2D, 1GB

Since people are downloading betas, etc, I'm sure OS X freezes up on them once in a while. If you have no choice but to force shut down your computer, is there a good change OS X will slowly get corrupted, like Windows? I'm just wondering because today I had to force shut down because of Vmware.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

No, because OS X is a UNIX based OS, forcing a shutdown should not corrupt anything over time.

However, you should probably find out how to get in to kill the process that might be making you think that you need to force a shutdown. The only times I've had to force a shutdown is when Finder gets AFU, and that's pretty rare.

Though I did just an hour ago have a loginwindow crash, which took out everything I was running. That was annoying but does happen I suppose.
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

The only time I have ever had to shutdown without using the normal shutdown method is a Kernel Panic (in which case you don't have a choice). All other times, I have been able to either restart the finder, or Force Quit the offending application. To do this, go to the Apple menu, then force quit, or hold Command and press shift-escape. Find the application that is hanging or giving you the beach ball, and force quit it. This should solve the majority of your issues.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
DreamNshadow

DreamNshadow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4 MBP, 2.16 C2D, 1GB

That sounds good.

Anyways, my Vmware was not responding, and so was OS X. I still saw animations moving in Safari, but nothing was registering. I tried pressing command-option-escape, but nothing happened.
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamNshadow View Post
That sounds good.

Anyways, my Vmware was not responding, and so was OS X. I still saw animations moving in Safari, but nothing was registering. I tried pressing command-option-escape, but nothing happened.
I would verify the disk just to make sure everything's ok...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« backup! | mwv convert to mpg »