New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

front row problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

qwinkan

qwinkan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB

i'm freaking out =(

i've never had any problems with my frontrow until today

when i browse through the .avi files in the movies folder, frontrow just shuts down and it goes back to my desktop.

help, freaking out, my macbook's barely 1 month old...
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

You don't by any chance have the 3vix codec installed have you?

It seems to be a common problem that front row crashes with this for some reason?

If not, then have you installed anything new recently?
QUOTE Thanks
pika2000

pika2000 will become famous soon enough

Uninstall whatever Divx support you're using. Try Perian instead http://perian.org/
Sometimes frontrow does crash, although shouldn't be that often. However, at least it will only return to the desktop. I have a winMCE machine, if Media Center crashes, it gives me blue screen...
QUOTE Thanks
qwinkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post
Uninstall whatever Divx support you're using. Try Perian instead http://perian.org/
Sometimes frontrow does crash, although shouldn't be that often. However, at least it will only return to the desktop. I have a winMCE machine, if Media Center crashes, it gives me blue screen...
i did that, i had perian only at one time. but it wasn't able to play some anime avi files i've downloaded (^___^), it played sound but no video.

that's what happens to me, it returns to the desktop, every single time i browse over an avi file, this avi file is a short home video my parents emailed me. I've deleted it now =( so far no crashing back the desktop yet. by the way i was able to play that avi with no problems when i double click it through finder.

i'm still deciding if I want to re-install OS like what the "Big Problems" Thread has suggested. According to the guy, that fixed everything. But does that mean I'll have to re-install if it does happen again? and everytime after that? kinda inconvinient and I would really like my mac to "just work" =)
QUOTE Thanks
qwinkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRock View Post
You don't by any chance have the 3vix codec installed have you?

It seems to be a common problem that front row crashes with this for some reason?

If not, then have you installed anything new recently?
no, i haven't come across the 3vix codec.

well, i have a few sharewares i'm trying like yummysoup and circus ponies notebook... I don't exactly remember when it started to happen, i don't often play movies with front row so i can't say it happened at this certain time right after i installed this or that.

these were the stuff in my library\quicktime at the time i noticed front row crashing back to desktop:

AC3MovieImport.component
AviImporter-r7 (Intel).component
DivX 6 Decoder.component
Divx Decoder.component
Divx Encoder.component
Perian.component
XviD_Codex-t58 (Intel).component
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

First give it a shutdown and reboot...like comletely shut it down...then reboot. Un-install perian, re-install perian, and make sure to track any new codecs you put in, and how the affect your operations.

I have had the same issue with certain avi files. Most work fine, but once in a while a person uses some different process to encode, or odd encoder settings, and frontrow doesn't like it.

You might try VLC and MPlayer for avi files. Almost all of them have worked in these, and they are free.

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
qwinkan

thanks bmcgonag,

i'm gonna reinstall OS this weekend and start over, then i'll install perian first and see how it goes from there
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual Boot | marking tracks - DVD / CD »