Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Newbie question on best internet browser (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/6673-newbie-question-best-internet-browser.html)

Big Dog Dad 05-23-2004 04:39 PM

Newbie question on best internet browser

:) I am switching to Apple soon! I spend 8-9 hours a day as a sys. admin. for an Oracle-XP front end system and I don't want to come home and deal with Gates produced garbage any more. I'm not sure if I'm going to a laptop or a G4 or G5 system but I will have a lot of questions for this forum. My first is what is the recommended internet browser for Apple? Again, IE is out of the question. Maybe it's a personal vendetta against Gates, and I realize I'm not going to affect him in any way except for my own personal gratification.

GLJones 05-23-2004 06:50 PM

Safari comes with the Mac and is the best, better than IE or NS.

Jerry

trpnmonkey41 05-23-2004 08:07 PM

Safari is my personal preference
-Built in Pop-up Blocker
-Integrated with OS X/Rendevous/Address Book
-Tabbed Browsing

witeshark 05-23-2004 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Safari is my personal preference
-Built in Pop-up Blocker
-Integrated with OS X/Rendevous/Address Book
-Tabbed Browsing

This says it all, and your view on M$, well is right, they have brought that light on themselves IMO

Absolute Zero 05-24-2004 12:50 AM

No IE. IE is discontinued anyway. IE renderes some sites like crap too.
Definetly Safari. (I like the intergration)

wickedbusa 05-24-2004 02:09 AM

Try Camino, it's speed puts Safari to shame.

sirlan 05-24-2004 08:50 AM

I like Safari but it has Java issues. I use Firefox as a backup when Safari acts up with Java.

Brown Study 05-24-2004 11:04 AM

My favorite browser is Mozilla, especially with the added preferences bar.

With the preferences bar, instead of going into the program's preferences the user with one cllck can turn a website's colors on and off (Ars Technica drives me crazy), cookies, images, the disk cache, it's history, referral pages and a bunch of others, including Flash, although I use AppleScripts to turn Shockwave/Flash on and off. The bar also allows the user to spoof browser identites, including the Great Satan's running on Mac or Windblows.

But the main reason I use Mozilla is because of it's ad-blocking ability. As well as popups, it will block forever any ad you want it to (Firefox, which is another branch of Mozilla, does this, too, but I also use Mozilla's email program because running both means running only the one app), and Mozilla's spam filters and ability to redirect mail work well -- and Mozilla has more preferences controls.

I visit the same 20 to 25 websites two or three times a day, and each is ad-free, as is any new site I decree should be, which is all of them.

Occasionaly I have to boot into OS 9, and because Mozilla's preferences files in Systems 9 and 10 are identical, it's simple to keep my bookmarks (about 400) and email files current with each other by using aliases and file-dragging AppleScripts.

I've tried 'em all, but in my opinion, Mozilla is the best at uncomplicating life.

Strider 05-24-2004 12:20 PM

I agree with Brown.

I use Safari, but have found Mozilla to be much more comprehensive and powerful than Safari.

rman 05-24-2004 12:25 PM

I think you will find that everyone has their favorite. Just try a few to find which one you like. I think to depends upon what type of sites you surf too, if you have any browser problems.

Joeytpg 05-24-2004 03:03 PM

what's wrong with Internet Explorer as a Mac Browser? it works great with PC's

ApplejustWorks 05-24-2004 03:24 PM

Ie has quite an abundance of....hmm..lets say "issues"

Padawan 05-24-2004 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeytpg

So do viruses - but we're using Mac's. ;)

wickedbusa 05-24-2004 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeytpg

It's a M$ program, that's what's wrong :p

TylerMoney 05-24-2004 04:46 PM

Safari, Mozilla, firebird

all good...I use safari