New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

a potential switcher and his qualms

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bolshephobia

Location: RIGHT NOW [Naples, FL]...STARTING AUGUST 17TH [Portland, OR]
bolshephobia is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: TBA

i don't really have many qualms or concerns about switching as i do a few basic questions. just as background, i'll tell you a little about my computing habits while introducing a few of these questions.

i use firefox compulsively and i'm hoping that either firefox is smoothly compatible with mac or that safari will suit my tastes better. either way, music is my life and i've become quite attached to itunes; i doubt this will be a problematic switch . i also love gaming and i'm specifically worried about how my prospective mac will handle world of warcraft, civilization iv, and the new starcraft. apart from that I have no worries about switching to mac; the school i'll be attending in the fall, reed college, is extremely mac-friendly and part of the reason i'm actually getting a mac.

the macbook i'll hopefully be ordering soon has the following specs...take into account that i want this laptop primarily for music, gaming, web browsing, writing assignments, and other minor media projects:

MacBook 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
200GB Serial ATA @ 4200 rpm
iWork '06 preinstalled
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
Accessory Kit

also, since i need the macbook relatively soon (july 17th), i won't be able to purchase one with the new os. when i bought my last laptop, which my sister is inheriting, from hp, they were offering a free upgrade to windows vista upon its release. although i never used it, i thought it was pretty cool. if i purchase my macbook in the next month will i have to buy the new leopard os or will there be any similar offers from apple? i know it's a stretch but i am a poor (soon-to-be) college student, scrounging for quarters.

thanks a lot! i'd appreciate any feedback!

on the whole human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.

- eric arthur blair (george orwell)
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

No, there's no free Leopard upgrade plan, but it's only $129 anyways.

You could get the student discount though.

Yeah, Firefox is developed equally on Mac and Windows. They're just as good as each other.

iTunes is obviously fine.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

If you start right now, and take a dollar each day from now until Leopard's release and put it in a jar, by the time it is released you will have enough to purchase it for upgrading your new Mac. Pocket change, 4 quarters a day. Do the same to get Vista and you'll be doing that for a year and have a "meh" OS that restricts what you do with it.

My brother in law is a very accomplished musician, and he has been enjoying what his Macbook can do with music ever since he switched some three months ago. Same with video and DVDs.

Firefox has been covered. No worries.

Some of the games, however, you might find a little lacking. I know from other reports that WoW runs well, and know personally that UT2004 runs fine on a Macbook. The Quake 4 demo I downloaded, not so much. That's definitely MBPro territory. Not sure about the civs.

Overall though, the Macbook is an awesome little computer that is the perfect combo of form and function.
QUOTE Thanks
yosemite3

yosemite3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2.33GHz

I play Civilization IV (universal edition) on my MBP and it's lovely.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i've played civIV on my macbook (see stats on left).

you must have all the options turned down. even the sounds can create issues. i've only dared play on a small map with a few civs and it will get slow as you move along. this is also using a disk image, not the actual disk - can't imagine playing it with the fan and disk spinning like mad. oh, and mind you, the fan will be in jet plane mode the whole time.

so, it's possible, just not very much fun.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
bolshephobia

Location: RIGHT NOW [Naples, FL]...STARTING AUGUST 17TH [Portland, OR]
bolshephobia is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
i've played civIV on my macbook (see stats on left).

you must have all the options turned down. even the sounds can create issues. i've only dared play on a small map with a few civs and it will get slow as you move along. this is also using a disk image, not the actual disk - can't imagine playing it with the fan and disk spinning like mad. oh, and mind you, the fan will be in jet plane mode the whole time.

so, it's possible, just not very much fun.
BLAST!

on the whole human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.

- eric arthur blair (george orwell)
QUOTE Thanks
brentsax

brentsax is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP - 2.2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce 8600M GT w/ 128MB DDR3

As far as serious gaming goes, you might be underwhelmed by the Macbook's performance. The Macbook utilizes an Intel graphics chip that is onboard the motherboard. It also shares the main system memory, which takes away memory that could be used in storing other important files used by the game. The Macbook Pro, on the other hand, was just upgraded to nVidia's new mobile GPU architecture. I have neither used nor even seen it in action, but it is supposed to provide excellent performance (for a lappy). On the MBP, the graphics chip is not forced to share system memory and it is significantly more powerful than it's Macbook sibling.

Long story short, if you are concerned about having a consistently good experience gaming-wise on an Apple lappy, the Macbook Pro is really your only option.

-B
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« msn | modem disconnects after 4 hours? »