New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Big Problems!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheInvsbleMan

TheInvsbleMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB

I was working fine on my Mac when it decided to go haywire on me... I just purchased it yesterday.

Here is a short list of known problems I have just encountered...

1. I can get into front row but when I try to load msuic it just crashes to the desktop.
2. Command esc won't even get me into front row.
3. When I try to use Terminal to "say" something I get a "bus error" reply
4. I cannot change any of my sharing options they are all grayed out.
5. Some of my settings are gone, such as Trackpad speed, keyboard settings and such.
6. The remote will not work to play iTunes by just pressing play, nor will it adjust the volume.
7. When I try to click the question mark to get help it unexpectedly quits
8. many other programs are unexpectedly quitting

It is basically just a bunch of little things that just went really wrong.

Any help would be very much appreciated I'm kinda freaking out right now, seeing as it was working fine 2 minutes ago
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

have you just done any updates or loaded any apps?

have you restarted?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Did you rename any files or folders?

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
TheInvsbleMan

I have done many updates and many apps. and I was moving around a bunch of folders... lol I just got it yesterday, I'm still configuring
QUOTE Thanks
TheInvsbleMan

just noticed one more thing not working... Two finger tap... and yes it is enabled. It seems ALL my settings are grayed out... just about, I can't change much. I can't change any network settings thats for sure
QUOTE Thanks
TheInvsbleMan

kinda ridiculous... but I think the only way to fix this is to reinstall OSX. I'm about to start now... I tried resetting my PRAM and NVRAM but the key combos don't work. So this is kinda odd having to reinstall the OS a day after I purchase. doesn't look good for Mac in my book
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

All computers are capable of having problems.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

have you tried making a fresh admin account and seeing if you have the same issues?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
TheInvsbleMan

Oh I know... I'm not flaming Apple, I just have no idea what happened. it just completely went crazy. All I did was close the lid, went to the mall came back opened it up and noticed things were a little funky and then it got worse from there. Everything was crashing and just it was a mess... I'll see how it goes this time.

Just an off topic question... is it recommended to restart after every App install on a Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
TheInvsbleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
have you tried making a fresh admin account and seeing if you have the same issues?
Well I already started the reinstall of OSX but as for the admin account... there was no plus sign to add new users when I went into the system prefs. and the accounts tab.
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

You probably needed to authenticate.
QUOTE Thanks
TheInvsbleMan

I don't think so, I mean my account was the only account on the computer. and there wasn't even any option to add an account, I mean not even a grayed out one or anything.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

oh, well if you're reinstalling...

let us know how it goes.

QUOTE Thanks
TheInvsbleMan

I will... it has about 20 minutes left on the install. But no one ever answered my question from before (I just want to make sure I do things right this time it is my first Mac) is it recommended to restart after each App that is installed?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

i don't think it is, but i do... windows habit.

i also try to make sure i don't have anything superfluous running at the same time.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Main Question Before I Switch... | Are refurbished products from the apple store a good idea? »