New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Most important MacBook Accessory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tcoletto

tcoletto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1gb 80gb 2.0ghz intel core 2 duo

I was just wondering in your opinion what would the most important and useful MacBook Accessory would be.

Thanks

-Tom
Mac Convert
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

external hard drive for backups.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
Agreed, if you're not use to keeping your drives backed up, now would be a good time to start. External drives have never been more reasonably priced. 500GB drives at $130, can look for smaller drives if you don't need that kind of space.

edit: If this is your first Mac, you might want to consider getting Mac OS X Tiger Edition, The Missing Manual. Even with Leopard coming out soon this book provides the best view of using your new OS.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
London Luke

London Luke can only hope to improve

A good understanding of the computer and its software
QUOTE Thanks
Justin_P

Justin_P is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, 8600M GT, iPod Classic 80Gb

The charger?

Or on a more serious note, definitely a external HDD.
QUOTE Thanks
Red Snapper

Red Snapper is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video

Other than the external drive, I would say a good mouse, preferably a bluetooth one to free up a usb port.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

A large monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
Title27GT

Title27GT can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
A large monitor.
I don't think that's important at all. One of the things I love about my iBook G4 is being able to sit around anywhere in my house and access the internet.
QUOTE Thanks
slashjunior

slashjunior is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)

One of the things that is essential for me is a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter and a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter to connect to projectors when I need to do presentations. I also like to connect it up to my 21" widescreen when I am at home. Not everyone needs that though.

So what other people have said. An external HDD. The MacBook HDD is pretty tiny for todays standards when you have lots of music and movies and documents. It is also a great idea for back-ups. It will save you a lot of headaches in the future.
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

I think that the only thing you really need from day 1 is a good case or sleeve. The others can wait.
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

1) External HD
2) Neoprene Case
3) Wireless/BT mouse for those times you use it @ the desk. Doesn't have to be Apple's Mighty Mouse.
4) Not really an accessory, but... Mr. Clean Magic's Eraser - it's a must for cleaning dirty spots off of your MB.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title27GT View Post
I don't think that's important at all. One of the things I love about my iBook G4 is being able to sit around anywhere in my house and access the internet.
The beautiful thing about a large, external monitor is that you have all the screen space when you're at your desk, but you don't have to carry it when you're not.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you're going to use your desk. Had a 32" when I first got my Mac. Downgraded it to a 26" (better quality) at my desk. Think I've actually sat at the desk maybe once a month since I got my MBP.

That screen is just not enuff to get me out of my recliner nor out of the bed.

Just got a 37" in the bedroom for father's day, so I'm gonna have to try that out.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title27GT View Post
I love the portability - that's why I went with a Macbook instead of an iMac for instance. But sometimes it's just really handy to have a large screen to use as well...
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post

ooh! easily as important as backups...

this is one of the most important mac accessories of all.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Right Click | another newby question about slideshows »