New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to undelete files from the mac os X trash?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheStranger55

TheStranger55 is on a distinguished road

Ok this is driving me nuts. In the trash can I can only find the "Empty trashcan" option.

But there's no option on undeleting files back to their original folders. I know you can drag it out of the trash but I can't the folder they all came from originally and it's slower too.

2) I want to uninstall parallels 3.0 and the windows XP OS to recover the space, but I can't find any Uninstaller program, and I had to settle with manually removing all the parallels folders in library folder and etc.

Is uninstalling every app like this in mac os x this difficult? Is there something like a "Programs and applications" program that lets me uninstall programs with just a single click like in windows?

3) How do I send files to the trashcan in mac os x without dragging it? I just want to do 1 or 2 clicks.
QUOTE Thanks
remain

remain is a jewel in the roughremain is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

1) There isn't. Deal with it.

(Contrary to popular belief, Mac OS X doesn't do everything better than Windows, though yes, it does in many aspects.
Now if you excuse me, I have to dodge the angry flames of a thousand Mac fanboys.)

2) I haven't used Parallels yet, but I think it's safe to assume it's a very complicated piece of software, which is why it requires "installing" (as opposed to drag 'n' drop as with other apps) and "uninstalling."

You sure there's no uninstaller anywhere? There must be a Read Me or a guide online that tells you how to uninstall Parallels properly.

But anyways, for any other normal app (i.e., 90% of apps out there), uninstalling is just deleting the app.
1. Move to Trash
2. Empty Trash
3. ???
4. Profit

...No, seriously.

3) Right-click and select Move to Trash.
Or keyboard shortcut: Command Delete (Delete = "Backspace," not "Del")

Cog 0.07 audio player - cogx.org
AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MPC, OGG, SHN, WAV, WV, tracker formats,
VG music formats, cue sheets, M3U & PLS, Growl, Last.fm, Apple Remote
Latest Nightly Build (0.08) (new interface!) - Got ideas? Report bugs?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I still don't understand why Apple dropped the great de-installer from Openstep. I think there are a couple of third party tools that have been mentioned here before. Search this thread for swicthers and search for the work uninstall.

You can right click or control click a file and choose "Move to Trash". I just highlight the file and use the Apple-Delete key combination. And to quickly empty the the trash I use the Apple-Shift-Delete combination.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Yeah, Apple delete works for me. Usually unintentionally because I use option delete to delete the current name of the file when renaming things and I miss the option key and hit Command instead.

As for undeleting, well, you should always "be sure" when deleting things regardless of how you do it.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Download appzapper......

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Prior to OS X, Command-Y untrashed the trash. But Apple killed it with OS X, and the sound of gnashing of teeth reverberated throughout the land. Complaints about its removal mine included fell on deaf ears.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
Prior to OS X, Command-Y untrashed the trash. But Apple killed it with OS X, and the sound of gnashing of teeth reverberated throughout the land. Complaints about its removal mine included fell on deaf ears.
Gotta love the missing features in OS X, over six years down the road.

As they say, FTFF!
QUOTE Thanks
remain

remain is a jewel in the roughremain is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

"Put Away," wasn't it called?

Kinda ironic.

Mac OS makes "Put Back" for Trash.
-> Windows makes "Restore" for Recycle Bin, most likely inspired by "Put Back."
-> People using Windows get used to concept of "Restore."
-> People switching to Mac OS X wonder why there is no "Restore."

[edited]

Cog 0.07 audio player - cogx.org
AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MPC, OGG, SHN, WAV, WV, tracker formats,
VG music formats, cue sheets, M3U & PLS, Growl, Last.fm, Apple Remote
Latest Nightly Build (0.08) (new interface!) - Got ideas? Report bugs?
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

sorry - undelete - I just click on trash can and recovered files

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
bowlman23

bowlman23 is on a distinguished road

Won't Leopard have Time Machine so you can recover files?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by remain View Post
"Put Away," wasn't it called?

Kinda ironic.

Mac OS makes "Put Back" for Trash.
-> Windows makes "Restore" for Recycle Bin.
-> People using Windows get used to concept of "Restore."
-> People switching to Mac OS X wonder why there is no "Restore."
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I might be wrong, but I could have sworn that the Parallels installer program will also perform an uninstall. Try re-downloading the Parallels demo and run the installer.

You can delete the Windows XP installation by starting Parallels, select Windows XP. Go to the File menu and click Delete.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is the battery life on the new LED Screens? | Virus protection? »