New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac Gaming Specs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shadowmancer

shadowmancer is on a distinguished road

Hey I hope this is in the right forum and I hope you guys can help.
I'm bying a new PC in the not-too-distant future and I'm considering a Mac over an Alienware, but my budget isnt huge. I've used Macs before and I ran Linux for a while, both of which outperformed XP, but what I miss most is gaming.
I'm considering an iMac (they're a work of art, I'm in love) but the specs don't seem too huge for gaming. Are there any iMacs with a 3.0GHz chip or above, or more RAM or will I be fine with the 2.66 (I think) chip it comes with? Also can I upgrade an iMac at a later date with extra memory? Or would I be best going for a Mac Pro (and quite possibly emptying my bank account)?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

No, the best iMac processor is 2.33GHz. You can upgrade the RAM later on, but thats it, and you can put up to 3GB of RAM in.

Mac Pro, on the otherhand, is a total powerhouse. Quad core by default? POWER.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

You should keep in mind that the Intel chips are dual-core, so don't go by processors speeds, and don't even think of comparing them to normal Intel Pentium speeds.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
You should keep in mind that the Intel chips are dual-core, so don't go by processors speeds, and don't even think of comparing them to normal Intel Pentium speeds.
Yup.
OMG SILVER!
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

My 20"iMac runs LOTRO on medium to high settings without a problem (on XP via Bootcamp)... It also runs Call of Duty 2 on high settings (on OSX made for Mac) great. The MacPro would FLY on games... but the truth is if your primary enjoyment from computers is from games... you'd probably be better of going with a windows machine built for gaming.

The fastest iMac chip is 2.33GHz. You can easily upgrade the RAM on the iMac anytime (up to 3GB)... You can not upgrade the VRAM, hard drive, etc (without risk, and without voiding any warranty)

The MacPro has Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, but that is $1500 just to upgrade to those chips!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
shadowmancer

Thanks. I guess I'll go for the Mac Pro

I will be able to run next-gen games on it though? Specification wise, not platform. It doesn't seem to have any of the new DirectX10 cards, or does that not really matter?

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

If your primary concern is gaming, you should stick with Windows, where its done best. Sure you can play on a Mac, but you won't have full support, and could come across the occasional unsolvable bug.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
shadowmancer

Sorry about the double post. I don't use the PC for gaming mainly, I'm just wondering about the gaming that I do. I also heard EA is bringing out a bunch of new games for Mac so...
I'm mainly bothered about WoW, but I'd like to play Oblivion, Battlefield etc too but obviously I'll have to emulate
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

If you're looking for a computer for gaming, then you really should consider looking at a Windows PC. I know some folks might come in here and bat this point back and forth, but the reality is that Macs are not as great for gaming as Windows PCs are. Macs don't have as many titles, and also don't really have the graphics capability for the highest end games. Apple keeps decently good graphics chips in their machines, but they seem to be focused much more on the professional graphics and 3D fields, not gamers.

If you're looking for a high end gaming machine, don't get a Mac Pro. It would be a waste of money, IMHO.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

Well the Mac Pro was not built to run Windows, so don't be surprised if it isn't the best machine for the job.
QUOTE Thanks
shadowmancer

Wow thanks guys can't keep up with the posts here lol
I mainly use my PC for Photoshop, Flash and Dreamweaver, which is why I'm mainly considering a mac, but I do my fair share of gaming too and I'm just wondering. Like I said I'm mainly looking at WoW which I know should run fine, and a handful of newer games
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute

After seeing what you're going to use it for.... Get the 24" iMac. You won't be disappointed.
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
After seeing what you're going to use it for.... Get the 24" iMac. You won't be disappointed.
I'm inclined to agree here, after seeing your latest post, shadowmancer. Either that, or a MacBook Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
shadowmancer

Thanks for the advice.
One more question (so sorry) can I run xfire on mac?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmancer View Post
Thanks for the advice.
One more question (so sorry) can I run xfire on mac?
Only through Bootcamp on XP.

EDIT:
After a quick google search, it seems you can use XBlaze as an Adium plugin.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I save the apps I purchased for my imac? | Is 128 SSD enough space? »