New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Virus protection?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brooklyn431

brooklyn431 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am considering downloading LimeWire to be able to download media, but am afraid of contracting a virus. Does anyone know....

a) If it is safe to use Limewire on a Mac?

b) Is there any alternative to LimeWire?

c) What company, etc. provides virus protection, or virus scanning for Mac? I haven't noticed any factory installed software but maybe I am missing something?

As always, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pod

pod will become famous soon enough

I've downloaded and used Limewire (for evaluation purposes only of course!) on various Macs over the last 4 years... works fine... no problems... no viruses...
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

a) Yes.

b) Yes. Search for Acquisition in Google.

c) Virus scanning is not necessary on your Mac, as there are no Mac viruses. All Mac antivirus programs scan for Windows viruses to prevent you from spreading viruses to Windows users. Windows viruses cannot infect your Mac, but they can be passed to and infect Windows users.
QUOTE Thanks
BlackCivic

BlackCivic is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd

you could always try clamxav if you really want to have an av client on your mac
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

All of the above.
When you install Clam you will notice that there aren't any updates... There aren't any viruses to protect against!
QUOTE Thanks
brooklyn431

brooklyn431 is on a distinguished road

Wow. Thanks everyone. When I had a PC I had countless viruses. Before considering buying the Mac I didn't even think to research about viruses. It's amazing that now I no longer have to worry about viruses. I spent so much time on my old PC scanning, updating, rescanning, ahhh the time I could have saved if I had a mac. Thanks again, take care and good night.
QUOTE Thanks
tcoletto

tcoletto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1gb 80gb 2.0ghz intel core 2 duo

There has been 0 viruses for OSX10

-Tom
Mac Convert
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

I find frostwire cleaner and less likely to cause problems

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to undelete files from the mac os X trash? | But it says it is Mac compatible... »