New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Okay, I am new, but I just need a little help.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The Trooper

The Trooper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive

Hey everyone, I just got a new 20-inch iMac 4 days ago. I love it cuz the graphics are so cool, its so fast, and it has a superdrive. I also love it cuz it is virtually invulnerable to viruses and spyware, and to uninstall something, I just have to trash it instead of going through that whole Add-and-Remove programs thing. But, just like with any new machine, I have a few problems:

-Whenever I try to type an apostrophe or a slash, I get this: č (Seriously, WTF)
-I cančt (see what I mean) play Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 in wide screen without toning down the resolution, but I am pretty sure I used to be able to.
-Is it possible to display the contents of a web page (not the actual web page itself, but the contents) larger, like zooming in.

Please reply. I may add more things later on.
QUOTE Thanks
wahdiatme

I'm new too, but your apostrophe problem sounds similar to a thread I read somwhere the other day.. I think you can check it in system prefs>international>language, make sure that english is first in the languauges then>input menu, and be sure that the US check box is checked and mine also has character palette is checked..

hope that helps..
QUOTE Thanks
The Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahdiatme
I'm new too, but your apostrophe problem sounds similar to a thread I read somwhere the other day.. I think you can check it in system prefs>international>language, make sure that english is first in the languauges then>input menu, and be sure that the US check box is checked and mine also has character palette is checked..

hope that helps..
Thanks, that helped. Another thing I want to know: When I ordered the iMac, I ordered a 160 GB hard drive. When I got it, it said I only had 138 GB available. Now, I understand that the operating system and all the programs take up space, but I don't see why it would need 22 GB of space. And in the system profiler, it said it only had a 149 GB capacity. Can anyone tell me what's going on, and if it's possible to increase the storage space?
One more thing: I'd like to learn how to use XCode (I have a little knowledge in computer science). Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

I'll warn you up front that XCode is a tough program to find resources on. I've been using it for my computer science class (I'm an engineering student) and I've found almost no documentation on it online. HOWEVER...XCode's internal documentation is exhaustive and extensive. Unlike in the Windows world, when you click on "Help" in most applications, you truly get a full help file.

Anyway, I've learned XCode well enough to use it on a daily basis so if you have any questions on it, just let me know (private message).
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

On the HD issue: Hard drives always lose some capacity when formatted. (Do a Google search for "formatted capacity" for more info) My "60GB" HD becomes a 55.9 GB one when formatted. Assuming that 7% is a typical figure, then that gets you down to 149 GB. (BTW: Use the File>Get Info command on any disk or folder to see the combined size of its contents. Look around for anything disproportionately large, just in case.)

To zoom web pages, Safari has a "Make Text Bigger" command in the View menu (Command-+). Most other browsers have a similar command, as well.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Also about the hard drive: does it have iLife, and Garageband?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah, if you get a 10GB ipod, you actually get a 9,2GB one.

actually apple and many other harddrive manufacturers (sony, toshiba etc.) have been sued about this for false advertising (i mean they could just make 10,8GB ones and then sell them as 10GB ipods right?)
QUOTE Thanks
The Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Also about the hard drive: does it have iLife, and Garageband?
Yes, it does. I can't wait to get a MIDI so I can do some home recording with Garageband.
PS: Thanks for that info, technologist. It kinda pisses me off, though. It's not really a big deal now, but if I fill it up with tons of software, I might need an external firewire or USB drive. It's a'ight now, though.

One other thing: Whenever you play music on your computer, a link to it appears in your iTunes library. When that happens, is the file copied, or does iTunes just make a shortcut, like an alias, which doesn't take up more disk space?
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Well, garage band is a huge program...so that automatically takes up quite a big bit o space on your hd..I think it's almost 2 gig alone....
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trooper
One other thing: Whenever you play music on your computer, a link to it appears in your iTunes library. When that happens, is the file copied, or does iTunes just make a shortcut, like an alias, which doesn't take up more disk space?
The file is copied, so it does indeed take up additional space.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
secondshadow

To clarify about the harddisk size issue, a COMPUTER defines one gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 Bytes, whereas harddisk manufaturers define a gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes...thats a 73,741,824 byte difference. To put it into better perspective, most folks consider on megabyte to be 1,000,000 bytes (which is incorrect as well, its actually 1,048,576 bytes) so thats about 73 megs of lost space. Multiply that by 160 and thats about 11,680 megs (or 11.6 gigs) of lost space defining a meg as 1,000,000 Bytes...it comes out a bit closer to 11 gigs even defining it properly, but thats where you space discrepincy comes in to play. To make things worse, filesystems do incur some overhead so when a file says its only 300 bytes long, you also have to take into account how much overhead the FS is using which is why in WindowsXP (I can't remember if the other variants do it or not) if you go to the properties of a file you will see a file size statistic and a size on disk statistic. These definition discrepincies are pretty common as as drives get larger and the discrepincy becomes more noticable fewer and fewer folks are going to stand for it...image a 1TB drive. It would show up as 931 Gigs due to mis-defining a gigabyte...that would not make me happy at all :mad: , anyhow I hope that helped out a little
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

secondshadow ther is a little more to it. If you look at physical partition (pp) sizes. That is where you lose all of physical disk space. The pp can be in the other of 2, 4, 8, 16, etc. This number is used in defining the space available when a filesystem is created on a disk drive. You have to use the correct one in order to get the most out any given drive. this is some that most consumers don't care about. The problem get worse when you create files on your system. A small file say 1mb, could take up more space than the 1mb, depending on the pp size used.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

We may have better control in this area, as Apple continues to work on there journal file systems. Which I think will happen in OS X server.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
The Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondshadow
These definition discrepincies are pretty common as as drives get larger and the discrepincy becomes more noticable fewer and fewer folks are going to stand for it...image a 1TB drive. It would show up as 931 Gigs due to mis-defining a gigabyte...that would not make me happy at all :mad: , anyhow I hope that helped out a little
That really sux.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Well there's really no way around it as files need their space plus the indexing that tells the system what is it and permissions etc...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Front Page Type Software for MAC? | Windows "Right Click" Equivalent »