New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac crashing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

Hi everyone,

As some of you may be aware by my recent posts I am looking at switching. However, a friend of mine has had his apple about 2 months (powermac, good spec - can't remember exactly) and the thing won't stop crashing! Even when trying to load an application such as imovie. Apparently it started doing it on a a regular basis - he also claims that the OS "chuggs" at times, takes forever to load and occasionally freezes up.

Thing is, he has had a lot of experience with mac's and he told me not to beleive the rumours that they are more stable than windows, apparently most of his have crashed frequently.

Just wondered if anyone else has had these problems.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Occasional crashes can be due to many reasons. I would suggest him to back up all the important information and do a fresh install. I have the feeling that he accidentally deleted some critical files. That sort of behavior is not normal to OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
jamesx

there is something wrong with his computer. a mac is more stable than a windows machine, but it can still have problems if something is wrong with it.

it seems as though people see one mac crash and they think they all crash and wonder if they should get one... but people can see hundreds of windows machines crash and its no big deal. A mac should not crash if everything is working correctly and your not trying to use some top heavy software with an outdaed computer (as with a pc).
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Your friend is generating tachyon pulses because of his guilt that he is not following the '95%' Windows market. All will be solved by switching to Microsoft products.

But seriously, Macs are VERY stable. Something is messed up with his system. Given his track record that you mention, I wouldn't be surprised that he caused it.

[rant]
Has he asked questions here or elsewhere? Has he sent it in for repair? I had more to add regarding diagnosing the issue, but it does not belong in this thread.

My first used Powerbook had a few hard issues over the years but was mostly stable. My G4 tower has been rock solid (excepting the bad iSight firewire cable that caused sytem crashes when I installed a third party USB 2.0 card). And my recent refurb Mac Book Pro had a video issue that Apple fixed. OS X is been very reliable on all of those machines.

My two brothers have been on Macs longer than I have and had few issues. The biggest issue for them seems to be the stability of the Pro Tools audio editing software. It is even know to be more stable on the exact same model with a different number of processors or processor speed. They also report which OS versions they have tested it with because even a point release can make less stable.
[/rant]

Anyway, sure problems can arise, but they are usually solvable without a reinstall. Even without a reboot. And Apple can fix the hardware side easily enough.
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

Fair enough. I did think it was slight scaremongering. I do know people who have had mac's and thus far - no major problems.

I suppose my biggest fear is that if something does go wrong I couldn't diagnose or fix it like I could with a PC.
QUOTE Thanks
hclincha

hclincha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 17", Intel Core Duo

If you're a geek, which by the sound of it you are (no offense, really, but you can diagnose and fix PC problems), you'll probaby figure it out within a month.
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

heheh!
Well, I can fix some problems. I'm no IT expert. It's just that mac's are so different I wouldn't even know where to start.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Glossy or matte | Menu Bar Icons Disappearing? »