New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I think I'm FINALLY ready to purchase

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Glenners

Glenners is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd

As some of you might have remembered I bought the middle model macbook about a month ago and then returned. I'm still not toally sure why I didn't want it, but I am pretty darn sure it was the price. Here is Canada (becuase of taxes) I ended up paying 1450 (this was before the upgrades). This was the first time I had ever owned a laptop and for me to carry around a 1450 machine intimidated me.

Now that the update has happened though and I can get the 2.0ghz 80gb hdd macbook for $999 refurbished I am finally ready! My plan is to buy the macbook, buy two 1gig ram modules from new egg, a 160gig and internal hard drive.

Now I would have a 2.0ghz, 160gig hdd, 2gig ram macbook for less than the 2.16ghz, 120gig hdd, 1gig ram macbook! The process speed didn't real tickle my fancy.

Before I purchase all the hardware though I want to be sure it is all compatible with the macbook.

ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231069

hdd (I have two I'm looking at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=H450-5060

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148073

Thanks alot!

"Come on big operating system, big operating system!" - PC
QUOTE Thanks
Glenners

I just finished watching a video on youttube where the guy bought a bigger hard drive for his macbook but accidentaly got a ide type. Are the macbook laptops SATA? If thats the case thsan I don't think I can use the hard drives I mention before. Woudl this one do the trick? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822149058

QUOTE Thanks
Stevonw

Stevonw is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram

Im more than sure all Mac HDD's are sata (as they have a super fast boot time and higher transfer rate?)

IDE are far slower.....i'm not 100%, but pretty sure
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Two problems with your plan for my taste.

First - edit - I was wrong
Second - For the price of that 160GB drive at $115 and buying an enclosure to use the 80 GB drive as an external at around $35 gives you a total of 240 GB of space for $150. For $130, you can keep the 80GB in your machine and get a 500GB external for a total of 580GB for $20 less money.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Glenners

Woah Woah, I was never going to use the 80gig as an external. I was going to buy a 160 for the laptop, then buy a 500gig 3.5" and an external enclosure so I would have 660gigs total. I just want to be able to keep alot of things on the laptop and not have to lug the external around with it. SO it would have things on it that I would use more at home like my entire movie collection and television series.

Also I thought that you can replace the hard drive without voiding the warrenty, I've heard it many times on these forums. I hope they're right!

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

In that case, not a bad idea.
And you are correct - found page listing the parts Apple considers DIY here.
(Battery, Hard drive & RAM) Link for instructions at bottom of page also.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Glenners

Thanks alot for confirming that the hard drive is a user servicable part!

QUOTE Thanks
TheInvsbleMan

TheInvsbleMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB

remember the HDD is only user replaceable on the Macbook, not the Macbook pro. Of course it can be done on your MBP but it will void the warranty. I know you said you are buying the MB so you will be ok
QUOTE Thanks
Glenners

I'm about to order my external hard drive but I'm not sure if these two are compatible, I'm pretty sure but don't want an ugly suprise when I try to put them togethor!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=THD-500A2

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9&sku=ULT31310

Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question :several JPGS into one PDF ? | Considering the wireless Keyboard/Mouse? »