New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Are refurbished products from the apple store a good idea?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

srgthunder

srgthunder is on a distinguished road

hi i am getting a mac for my birthday, i am 14 and will be using it for school and school related tasks and loading music onto and films etc. I would just like to know what mac you guys would reccomend for me and wether buying refurbished products is a good idea or not? Thanks for all your advice.
P.S- I will be buying a notebook not a desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Shannonb has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

Same thing as new. How I got mine. And if it breaks down at any point, it has nothing to do with it being refurbished and the fix it like its new (depending on the warranty of course.) Mine hasn't broken down by the way.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I've had a refurb. Macbook and sold it 3 months later. Not that it was bad, only because I decided on a refurb iMac. I've had that for 3 months with no problem. I've had 2 refurb. iPods as well. Refurb is the smart way to go.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
buttuh

buttuh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD

it's a very good idea. All of the apple products I've owned are refurbished and no one, including myself, can tell the difference vs. new.
QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

I've never heard anything bad from any members here who have bought refurbed Macs. They're basically brand new, they function new, and they look new.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
Backburner

Backburner is on a distinguished road

Love my refurb macbook, only difference I noticed from a new macbook was the plain brown box it came in.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

No problems with my MacBook Pro - I couldn't tell it from new aside from the plain cardboard box it came in. They even gave me 1GB of RAM when it was advertised as having 512MB. I paid $1270 out the door with tax, I've yet to see another deal like that with equivalent specs. Even the older G4 15" Powerbooks go for more on Apple's refurb site.

I've said this in a few other threads, but I think it's worth repeating - the term "refurbished" implies that the machine has been made "like new". If there are any problems, you can always return or send it back for a refund.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
srgthunder

thanks guys and any advice on which portable mac to get?
QUOTE Thanks
srgthunder

and also on the apple mac webiste (UK as that is where i live) it says that there may be cosmetic imperfections to the macs have any of you experienced this?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgthunder View Post
thanks guys and any advice on which portable mac to get?
It depends on your needs. What do you want to do with the machine?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
and also on the apple mac webiste (UK as that is where i live) it says that there may be cosmetic imperfections to the macs have any of you experienced this?
No, but the return policy still applies - so if something is not to your liking, you can always return it and get another.

QUOTE Thanks
srgthunder

ok thanks guys and im undecided between the black macbook or the just below it, also does anyone know any uk stores to get external hard drives for macs?
QUOTE Thanks
Matteh117

Cancom have lots of externals (lots of expensive ones too :O). They also sell refurbs there, but they might not be as good as the ones on the Apple website..
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
ok thanks guys and im undecided between the black macbook or the just below it, also does anyone know any uk stores to get external hard drives for macs?
You can use just about any external drive you want to. You don't need to purchase something "Mac-specific".

QUOTE Thanks
buttuh

buttuh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD

I think a lot of mac users like LaCie for external storage. I'm getting a western digital passport to lug around and still looking for a good NAS for the house.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Big Problems! | Going to Sleep??? »