New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Safari on XP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gazmaz

Gazmaz is on a distinguished road

Am currently running Safari on my XP machine, after watching Steve's Keynote presentation. Hey am I getting excited about switching.
But Safari needs a few intial tweaks certainly for Windows before I'll be totally convinced it's great, it is certainly good but at the moment Firefox would still be my fav.
It maybe that the things I like will be add on's at a later stage. But I'm gonna use it so I'm used to it for my switch he he he.
Anyone else particularly new switchers out there trying Safari yet?
QUOTE Thanks
speed4tu

speed4tu is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb

One of my windows buddies downloaded it to his comp. It works pretty good but like you said there are a few more bugs they need to work out of it. It is in the beta version still. Version 2 works great here on my mac tho. I prefer it over firefox.
QUOTE Thanks
Gazmaz

It's the beta version so that's why I'm not having a go at it, it's not bad but I agree it'll need to refine a little especially if Steve wants 20% of the Browser market.

I wonder if they (Apple that is) want any feedback?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I downloaded Safari 3 on my Mac, and I don't really see much of a difference from Safari 2.

QUOTE Thanks
Gazmaz

Of course I can't comment on that but this is the first time I've used Safari at all, so it's all new to me, they have an issue with Yahoo webmail as it's not supported at the moment. Well not the new Yahoo mail at any rate. Not with the XP version of course..
QUOTE Thanks
PinkLemonade

PinkLemonade has a spectacular aura about

They probably just relased a version for us so we wouldn't say "Hey, why do the PC user's get something at WWDC and we dont?!"
QUOTE Thanks
bowlman23

bowlman23 is on a distinguished road

I'm looking to maybe switch and am playing with Safari on Windows. It's ok, but there are some annoyances that I don't care for so far. It is a beta though.
QUOTE Thanks
Gazmaz

Resizing is one problem, I also don't like the colour the tabs seem to blend into the rest of the heading, but as you say annoyances fixable, but still need a bit of catchup with firefox. Doesn't that much quicker either at the moment.
QUOTE Thanks
Stevonw

Stevonw is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram

I tryed Beta 3 and it seemed to disable transparency in Adium (annoying) so i removed it.

It's my fault though, it's beta lol i usually avoid BETA software....but i couldn't resist

I'll stick with Camino thanks! (I used to be a massive Firefox fan, but Camino FTW now )
QUOTE Thanks
snikro

snikro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G4 / 1,42Ghz / 1GB / 100Gb / Superdrive / 10.4.11

I tried it on XP and I thought it was actually pretty sweet - I was especially surprised by the speed it loads pages, even if they weren't in the cache.
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

so far i've had the opposite problem with very slow speeds on my Vista machine. Firefox takes a bit to first load, but then it is just fast. Safari takes a while to load and then just sits there trying to do something. i'll wait for the official version to come out b4 reinstalling that again.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help Please | $200 Rebate »