New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Virtual PC question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Quintheeskimo66

I'm pretty new to the Mac scene. I have a pair of G3 powerbooks. one 500mhz and the other 266. The 266 is running 9.2.2 and the 500 is running 10.3
I have 1 windoze program that I would like to run on my powerbook(s). It is some mapping software for my GPS.
I've heard about Virtual PC, and I have some questions I am hoping to find some answers too. I did some searching of the forums, and everyone here seems to know more about it than I do.
Does this replace your Mac OS? Does it run all the time? Or is it an application that you can start and stop to allow you to simulate the Windoze environment for running a program?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Virtual PC is an application which emulates the PC environment. In this environment you can run windows applications.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Quintheeskimo66

That's great. I wouldn't want to ruin my Mac by destroying my OS just to run 1 program.

What would be the version of Virtual PC that i would need for my 500mhz running 10.3.3? And is there a preferred version of Windoze? I already have copies of 95, 98, Me, 2000, and XP. (yes I was a Windows junkie )

thanks for your help!!!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You would get the version of window that you want with the emulator application. Virtual PC can run all of the flavors of window you mentioned. Just remember, because you are using an emulator it will run slower.

From what I have heard, don't use XP. It is dog slow.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
WhitE_RabbiT

I have heard that 2000 is the fastest and most stable to use. That is what I am currently running, and from what I have seen so far it works pretty well.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Isn't there an issue with Virtual PC running on 10.3? Last I heard, the Great Satan was yet to release a version that works on it, and was forecasting great things to come when VPC would be included in Office.
QUOTE Thanks
WhitE_RabbiT

Actually, I believe the issue is with the G5 processor, not 10.3 itself. I am running it on 10.3 with no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
Mouse26

I can confirm that Virtual PC 6.1 with XP is unusably slow. I bought it with my 12" 1.33 Ghz Powerbook with 1GB of memory, and fought tooth and nail to get a refund after being appalled that even the simplest, simplest tasks (like opening a folder in explorer) could take minutes to perform.

Honestly guys and girls, go for an older windows version, trust me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SSH for Mac question | general support? »