New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do I uninstall programs in Os X?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wahdiatme

If I want to uninstall a program do I need to drag it to the trash can? Or is there a way, like in windows, that i have to go to add/remove programs?

also, i put a program in the trash can adn when i hit empty trash, i get a message that says "the operation cannot be completed because the item 'FT (then a whole lot of letters and numbers)' is in use..why wont it empty on out?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

All you do is drag the application to the trash and go into the library and any folder for that programs prefernces you can delete.

Try restarting and then emptying trash or go to Finder/Secure Empty Trash

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Try restarting and then emptying trash or go to Finder/Secure Empty Trash
You don't need to restart, (though that would work) just log out and log back in. Some part of that program is still running, and accessing a file in the trash. Logging out will clear that up.

It's also not strictly necessary to do anything other than deleting the application. Remove the support files from /Library if it makes you feel better, but they don't take up much space, and don't cause any trouble if you leave them.
QUOTE Thanks
rebz

livetype takes up like 8 gigs in the library, so you decide
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebz
livetype takes up like 8 gigs in the library, so you decide
Yeah, there are some programs that abuse the Library like that. At least with Livetype, you can move that stuff out of /Library and put it somewhere more sensible.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie question on best internet browser | Limiting internet access. »