New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

To switch now....or later?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Matrix_Prime

Matrix_Prime is on a distinguished road

PC user here, who wants to become a Mac user. My dilemma.....the rumor of the new iMac. I've settled on the fact that I want the 17" iMac (I don't want to jump head over heals right away on anything bigger....I can save that for my next mac ), but the rumor of the new iMac is eating away at me. I've read that the rumored new iMac supposedly will only replace the 20" and 23" versions, and will not affect the 17" versions. Anyone think there is any truth to that? Should I buy a mac now, or wait it out?
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

I'm waiting myself. HOping one is announced when the new OS comes out in october.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

There are new rumours everyday. The only semi certainty is that Leopard will be out in October. Any decision you make has to be your own - you won't gleam any real information from the web or forums.

It's a gamble.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

I doubt they will release an "all-new" iMac redesign, maybe a black one, or the rumored metal finish.

Seriously though, if you need a computer for the summer, buy it now. If you can wait, wait.

I don't know about you, but I tend to buy computers because I need them for some reason, so there's no waiting schwaiting business for me.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
ryanwarsaw

ryanwarsaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.0 GHz CD, 20" iMac 2.16 C2D, Blackbook 2.16 GHz C2D

They may or may not introduce a redesigned iMac. If you are looking at buying a 17" this is the least likely to be included in any such redesign anyway. Regardless of the rumors floating around, the iMac is do for an update. IF you don't need it now wait until it is updated or Leopard is released. I certainly would not wait any longer though.

I understand the crowd that says don't wait and buy now. It seems to me however that some sort of change is imminent for the iMac sooner rather than later. On the other hand the current iMac line is well established and at least mine doesn't have any bugs.

If I were in the market for one now I would hold out a little longer. OK I lied if I were stuck on a Wintel box I don't think I could wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

It might look different, but how can they improve on Core2 processors, SATA hard drives and big flat screens?
QUOTE Thanks
ryanwarsaw

ryanwarsaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.0 GHz CD, 20" iMac 2.16 C2D, Blackbook 2.16 GHz C2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
It might look different, but how can they improve on Core2 processors, SATA hard drives and big flat screens?
The most likely thing I can think of is that they could offer a speed bump at maybe a lower price. Of course waiting for Leopard alone saves $129 which isn't much to some people but is to others.
QUOTE Thanks
Miffle

Miffle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD

What they can improve on is using up to date parts, like they do in their MBP or like any other company does with no problems

Core2duo processor can mean anything from the range.. like saying AMD64 processor, you get a 3200+ as an example then as another example you get the X2 6000+

Apple needs to put the Santa Rosa chipset into the iMac - no doubt
QUOTE Thanks
cramar

cramar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS

To paraphrase Shakespeare, "To wait or not to wait, that is the question!"

I'm holding off buying iWork because of rumored new release. But I cannot wait much longer. I couldn't wait any longer to buy a MacBook and 3 weeks later they come out with an upgrade. Then comes the new 15" MBP. Can't win. The only certainty is we KNOW that Leopard will be out in Oct. If you can't wait you will have to buy. If you can, there "might" be a new iMac by then. In the mean time if you don't need it now, and waiting means saving more purchase funds, I would suggest you serious consider the 20" iMac. The 20" iMac and the low-end 15" MBP give the best bang for the buck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Get Applecare? | Virus' on a mac? »