New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Another one converted!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Inverted

Inverted is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook (White) 2.16Ghz, 2Gb RAM 120Gb HDD, Superdrive

Hi everyone,
Great forums, after many a discussion with guys at work, i finally have taken the plunge an ordered my first mac.

Now i'm in that impatient yet excited time of waiting for it to be delivered......
Anyone any tips to calm my nerves??
QUOTE Thanks
mi6

mi6 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 2gig ram

welcome....
what can i say...
apple rocks..
QUOTE Thanks
JustinHorne

JustinHorne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
Hi everyone,
Great forums, after many a discussion with guys at work, i finally have taken the plunge an ordered my first mac.

Now i'm in that impatient yet excited time of waiting for it to be delivered......
Anyone any tips to calm my nerves??
It's a REALLY nervous feeling, isn't it?!

I Ordered mine uesday, it was supposed to ship on the 19th, but it'll actually be HERE on monday, the 18th! Whoo!
I went to CompUSA and played around on one yesterday, BAD idea, now I Want it more, haha.
QUOTE Thanks
Inverted

hi.... my order finally went through on the 14th, said it has shipped today. but not to be delivered until the 28th!!! hoping it is before, but i've read that 'custom' systems get shipped from china so might take that long. I went to a store today. i know what you mean, ended up coming out with a wireless mighty mouse, to help with the photo editing etc, instead of using the touch pad....
I'm just teasing myself now!!!
QUOTE Thanks
xander.jobe

xander.jobe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0Ghz... new Intel

I can totally understand where you two are coming from... I ordered mine on the 16th, and went into Micro Center and played around with one for about an hour I really can't wait to get my hands on it. It should be here on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what the first thing that I should do with it?

-Xander
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Congratulations and welcome! Just remember: the longer the wait the more joy when it arrives.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.jobe View Post
I can totally understand where you two are coming from... I ordered mine on the 16th, and went into Micro Center and played around with one for about an hour I really can't wait to get my hands on it. It should be here on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what the first thing that I should do with it?

-Xander
Here is an advise I got from a Mac enthusiast:

The first thing I check is the LCD. I make sure that the LCD is perfect, i.e., no burnt or stuck pixels. Whilst Apple, I think but do not quote me, has a policy of replacing screens with 5 or more burnt or stuck pixels, it is always a good thing to get a perfect one. I wish that Apple would provide a burnt/stuck-pixel free LCD guarantee like one of the non-Apple brands.

It is recommended that you get a utility such as Pixel Check (<http://urltea.com/gdp>) to help you find out if your LCD has any defects. If it detects one burnt/stuck pixel, pray that you get four more so that you can automatically reject the unit and demand for a new one.

Next thing to check is the iSight. This is a new addition to my ritual ever since iSights come built-in to new Mac portables. Whilst rare, some iSights just do not work as expected. More often than not, this feature comes unchecked until you try playing with Photo Booth or iChatAV. A friend had to return his Macbook because of a defective iSight.

One last thing to check, before ensuring that all accessories in the box are included, is the battery. With the current set of batteries getting bad reviews due to bloating, exploding, and/or not charging, it is best to see if your battery can carry some juice. What use is a portable if your battery cannot hold a charge, right? Portable Mac's battery comes with some initial charge - enough to boot-up your system and to configure it but request that you be allowed to plug it in and charge the battery for a few minutes and see how the battery performs.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
qwinkan

qwinkan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB

hi Inverted!

my macbook took 6 weeks to reach me, and it was hellish! I know all about the nerves, basically I just bugged (well more like picked on) my boyfriend, I read up on the macbook, downloaded (more like hoarded) all softwares I thought I might find useful and of course I lurked around mac-forums which helped a great deal =P
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Welcome....!!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Inverted

Thanks for the replies. Sitting tight, checking the order status every day i'm sure you've all been there!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

While you're waiting, highly recommend reading through eric's "Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information" guide. Some really good stuff in there.

Afraid I can't help with the anticipation, you'll have to live with it.

When you get it, take a deep breath. My wife just got her first Mac this week and was so excited (we're talkin' 'bout a 60 year old woman here), that she walked to the closest thing in the room (the arm of the loveseat) to set it on to start unpacking it. So, after you take that deep breath, head for the 'nearest' flat surface (you'll need some room for everything), take a seat and take another deep breath. Then enjoy.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
GerningsStedet

GerningsStedet is on a distinguished road

It took me 3 days from it was shipped from china to denmark 6 days before apple promised me i would get it
QUOTE Thanks
Inverted

oh, you tease!!!!
still no update on the tracking number or courier. guess its because its the weekend......
QUOTE Thanks
xander.jobe

xander.jobe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0Ghz... new Intel

My package is in Kansas City, I am hoping that they are going to come by the house tomorrow. YAY! The only thing is that I don't have a doorbell, or a printer (to pre-sign). So my question is what do they do with the package if I am not available to sign it when it comes?

-Xander
QUOTE Thanks
Inverted

they usually leave a card to say they tried to deliver. you usually have the option of a re delivery, sometimes to another address if u wish, or you could go and collect from the depot yourself.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Expectant owners hideout | first things to do »