Using the super user account in Terminal by default

Hello all!

I recently made the switch, and am trying to get to grips with using the Terminal.

I only have one account on my computer (the admin), and when I try to execute commands in the Terminal, I'm having to use the sudo keyword to have the permission to run the command.

Shouldn't I be the super user while in the admin account? And what settings do I need to change so that I don't have to type sudo every time?

I'm not sure if this is related, but can I also prevent installations from
    requesting the admin password for every installation?

I still have TONS of questions to ask, but I'll split them up over different threads...

Thanks in advance!

Specs:
    15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroony View Post
    Hello all!

I recently made the switch, and am trying to get to grips with using the Terminal.

I only have one account on my computer (the admin), and when I try to execute commands in the Terminal, I'm having to use the sudo keyword to have the permission to run the command.

Shouldn't I be the super user while in the admin account? And what settings do I need to change so that I don't have to type sudo every time?
    No. Admin, and SuperUser are not the same, and for good reason. If you are always SuperUser, bad things can happen by accident. This is how it is on all Linux/Unix systems.

You still have alot that you can do without being SU if you use the terminal alot. Most Mac users these days only use the terminal to do things that require SU access, but still to protect us from ourselves this is how it is setup.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroony View Post
    I'm not sure if this is related, but can I also prevent installations from requesting the admin password for every installation?

I still have TONS of questions to ask, but I'll split them up over different threads...

Thanks in advance!
    As far as not requesting admin password, not something you want to do. this is how Windoze was so vulnerable previously, because it didn't require any permission to install software, and you end up with Malware, viruses, etc.

As for not having to use 'sudo' everytime you enter terminal commands try this.....

Open Teminal app....

first command# sudo bash
    Enter password

Should just let you do all the commands you need until you exit as sudo, or close and quite terminal.

Best, and remember, SU is powerful, and with great power comes 'OHHHH GOD NOOOOO!!!! please let me undo that!'

Brian

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    The only was to get around the pass word prompt for installing anything is to enable the root account and log in to it, which is not enabled. As was suggested, this was done to make your system a little more bullit proof from accidental problems. You can not easily destory your system with using the admin pass word as you can with root access.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Thanks guys!

I'll stick to entering the password for the installations, but I'll give the sudo bash command a try!

Thread Information