New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Icons Not Visible On Screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

manboobs

manboobs is on a distinguished road

I bought a used G4 but when booted up the desktop was blank. Wallpaper and mouse cursor OK, but no icons/menus/toolbars etc.
First, I tried various start-up and re-boot suggestions mentioned on other forums, eg holding down ctrl/alt/P/R and various other combinations, to no apparent effect. Also tried restart holding down C key.

Then in desparation I tried Software Refresh disks 1 to 4. They did not auto-eject nor did I see a prompt to change disks, however while disk 2 was running I did spot the right edge of a window which appeared on the extreme left of the screen.
I realised that my cursor would stop once it reached the edge of the screen at the top, bottom and right of the screen. However it would disappear when moved to the far left of the screen.
It occurred to me that perhaps my desktop is not blank at all, its just that I canít see the icons because they are all off-screen to my left.
So I went fishing, tried to click-and-drag blind when the cursor was off-screen and after several goes I dragged a couple of icons, which vanished in a cartoon puff of smoke when I released the mouse button.

However I also found the HD icon and was able to change the screen resolution, but this still didnít bring the icons into view.
Itís like Iím viewing a widescreen picture, but can only see half of it.
Can anybody tell me how to get all of my desktop visible on a standard monitor screen ??? Or how can I switch the icons/toolbar etc to the right hand side?
Help desparately needed!!
muchos gracias !
QUOTE Thanks
Thorin

Thorin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb

You need to try booting from the install disk to do a refresh (if you haven't already). If it won't boot properly from that CD / DVD, you probably have a hardware problem. Start the machine with the install disk 1 installed and hold down the "C" key. See if you can do a restore from that environment.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Reinstalling shouldn't be necessary just yet.

If you can see your HD, then you should be able to navigate your system.
Go to your Library/Preferences folder and delete the file "com.apple.finder.plist".
Empty your trash.
Then when you have done that, reboot the machine

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Thorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Reinstalling shouldn't be necessary just yet.

If you can see your HD, then you should be able to navigate your system.
Go to your Library/Preferences folder and delete the file "com.apple.finder.plist".
Empty your trash.
Then when you have done that, reboot the machine
Looks like great info. Devilboy, what does that actually do?

Also, could he try booting from optical media to get Finder access? Is that possible?
Probably a stupid question. I was a real whiz on Mac OS system 6.0 to OS 9, but I'm
still getting up to speed on OS X. I have been using it for years, but I'm not as slick
on it because I changed professions (out of Mac service) before OS X came out.
QUOTE Thanks
manboobs

Thorin thanks for that info. Before I try it, I had an idea that the previous owner may have had twin monitors, hence I can see only half the screen.

Any idea how I can find the control necessary to change back to a single monitor??
QUOTE Thanks
Thorin

That is a darn good possibility, and probable. Again, I think that if you try booting from optical media it would aid you in determining that (because it would over-ride any such settings and wouldn't affect any config that may be on the hdd). Nothing to lose in trying.
QUOTE Thanks
manboobs

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions to cure my blank desktop.
None of them worked, - now I know why.

The problem is now solved, and I feel a bit of a dunce.

My monitor has a blue-coloured 15-pin plug which I had originally connected to the blue 15-pin port on ther Mac.

I switched to the black 15-pin port and Hey presto!! Full desktop with menu and icons !!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What type of compression? | Switching from Linux »