New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Gamer considering the switch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nathanieljb

nathanieljb is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,

Been playing around on PCs since I was around 7 and now looking to purchase myselft a Notebook and considering the switch from PC to Mac.

I am a gamer and 70% of the time the Notebook will be used for gaming, playing such things as FPS / MMO's. The other 30% of the time will be used for Digitial stuff such as images / movies, music and work related stuff. I understand that you can now get the best of both worlds by installing Vista on the machines as the macs now use the Intel Chipset.

Honestly is it viable for me to switch to a Mac or should I stick with the traditional PC??

I have found alot of posts asking about the switch but havent seen a huge deal about games.... any help would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Since your a gamer, and probably would be spending the majority of the time on Windows, buying a Mac doesn't make much sense for you.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

If you want to play games that are available for Macs, then you'd be ok.

But you're talking about running Windows in either BootCamp or Parallels more than you'll be running OS X, which doesn't make a lot of sense...Mac OS X is what makes Apple computers shine. To me, it doesn't sound like it would be a wise investment for you, unless you are willing to look at purchasing new games that run natively on the Mac platform, are willing to deal with minor compatibility issues with Crossover Mac, or the like.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

realistically, a MBP is a sweet machine but it still lacks in the vid card department for a proper gaming laptop. i love my iMac but it cannot keep up with many of the games i want to play, so i got a 17" Dell with a nVidea Go 7900 GS to play my games on. (couldn't afford the XPS series with the Go 7950 GTX or Alienware dual vid laptops either)

so if you want games, stick to a Dell or Alienware or something similar.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I agree, if you plan on spending 70% of your time in Windows, then you're better off buying a Windows-based laptop.

It doesn't make sense for you to be buying a Mac if you'll just end up using Windows most of the time. Despite what anybody else says, you essentially buy a Mac for OS X.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

and people think we're all mac sheep, blindly following master jobs and hating windows every second of our lives.

yeah... stick with a windows machine, you'll curse the hurdles and pitfalls if you try to force a macbook or macbook pro to do it as much as you want to.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Miffle

Miffle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD

I agree with everyone, eric points out there will come a time where you just get sick of forcing a MBP to play games

I'd personally stick with a PC desktop but if you need a laptop, there are many options with up to date graphics
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Even PC laptops are not usually geared up for gaming. They're not upgradeable and in 3 years it'll be left behind.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
Even PC laptops are not usually geared up for gaming. They're not upgradeable and in 3 years it'll be left behind.
And I have the same notebook as scooter. I can run most of my newer games at 1920x1200 resolution. 3 years down the road, any win box is going to be left behind. Remember, it's not just a gpu that plays games.

Oh, and the new mbp with the 8800 card in it, it should be decent for games, the benchmark shows it about having the same performance as the go 7900 gs. I think it may be dx10 compatible. Don't quote me on this though. But unless you're going to be using OS X a lot more than windows, which you will be running anyways, save yourself some money and go the pc route.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

it's the 8600M GT card, which is a really nice card, and it is DirectX 10 compatible. (it's a nice change over that old ATI x1600) it's almost as fast as the 7900 GS but not quite there.

here's a good chart listing mobile graphics in rank by benchmarks.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...ist.844.0.html

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
brendan67

brendan67 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2 4gbram iPhone6

hi

you've been given good advice all on replies

here is some more get a mac then you'll discover

mac games and other things better than gaming

have the best of both platforms try different things enjoy life to the full

don't hesitate the very fact you've popped the question means you need a mac

do it now, and have more fun

best regards
QUOTE Thanks
nathanieljb

nathanieljb is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for the replies and I will take them onboard.

TBH i really only play World of Warcraft (and the odd FPS) and the reason I was considering a mac was because in the next 12 months I am going to be heading over to the UK from Aus.. Wanted something that I could watch movies on.... play some games and do some video editing... I have also been told that WoW runs fine on a MAC but if you guys really think its better option.. I will stick to the PC

I was considering the Macbook Pro with the 8600 option.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

You probably know about the DVD region ripoff, but if not, this might help.
QUOTE Thanks
nakile

nakile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanieljb View Post
Thanks guys for the replies and I will take them onboard.

TBH i really only play World of Warcraft (and the odd FPS) and the reason I was considering a mac was because in the next 12 months I am going to be heading over to the UK from Aus.. Wanted something that I could watch movies on.... play some games and do some video editing... I have also been told that WoW runs fine on a MAC but if you guys really think its better option.. I will stick to the PC

I was considering the Macbook Pro with the 8600 option.
You could have told us that at the start. World of Warcraft has both a Mac and Windows version right on the disc. The other FPS you might play might have a Mac version too.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I play WoW on my iMac, so you will have no problem running that. Most of the more popular FPS have been ported to the Mac, other than CS.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I'm Excited | A new switcher. »