New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Outlook to Thunderbird

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amardilo

amardilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD

Hi. I just got my first Mac, it's a really nice bit of kit. I downloaded Thunderbird but I can't figure out how to import my old Outlook 2003 emails to Thunderbird. When I go into import I don't get a option to import from Outlook.

Has anyone done this before and does anyone have any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Not sure on the most direct route - but there are a couple of long'ish ways about this.

1st is to use Outlook Express (included with most versions of Windows) to import the mail from Outlook 2003 then you can export the mail from outlook express to a file type that Thunderbird can use.

2nd and prob the better method is to install Thunderbird to the PC - I'm pretty sure Thunderbird can import mail straight from Outlook 2003 directly when on the same machine - makes some kind of a link with Outlook and pulls each mail over to Thunderbird. Once the mail is in Thunderbird browse to cDocuments and Settings\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles and copy the profile file/directory - will be named something like xxxxx.default. now go to your mac browse to the profile location for Thunderbird on a Mac and past the profile you just copied from Windows.

Ok a little bit of looking about and I found this; http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_.pst_files kind of says what I just said but in a more readable way.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

The O2M program (Outlook2Mac) does just this, so I have read. See:

http://www.littlemachines.com/

This is $10.00 shareware but I have read good reports of it. You run it on your PC, and it converts your PST files to industry standard MBX files. From there on, almost any email client can import the folders and messages.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
amardilo

amardilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD

Thanks for your help guys. I installed Thunderbird on my old PC and backed everything up and then copied it over to my new MacBook.

I now have all my emails back!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

RNDDave, EXCELLENT tip. I did not know that SimpleMAPI even existed, much less that I could use it to do PST to MBX exporting! Thanks!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
kiteboarder

kiteboarder is on a distinguished road

I've transferred my mail to Thunderbird and I'm now trying to find the correct files to rename to .mbox and I can't find them. There are so many files I just don't know which. Please help!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

I found this http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...age-migration/
and your question about which is best you might find answered in these forums as it has been asked before...

oh and be sure to click on the faq link as that also answers your question and you might need this fix, also this page you might need... http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...60528130736421

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook vs black macbook | Can we delete iDVD "Themes"? (1.69GB!) »