New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

removing .dmg from desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CaptainDanner

CaptainDanner is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2GHz 2GB 120GB hard drive NVIDIA graphics with 128MB SDRAM

well, happy to say this is my first post with mhy new MBP. im loving every minute of it! anyway, i downloaded msn messenger for mac and it put a . dmg file on the desktop as well as a white box, drive looking icon, how do i remove these. i know there was a post on this recently, but i couldnt find it. thanks for the help

DAN
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

I just through them in the trash after I'm done with them. Some people save them in a folder just in case you'll need to reinstall the program.

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

If the program is of value to you, I would second what Netty says, hang onto it. I keep a folder called "Macintosh Software Installers" and hang on to most of the .dmg's for programs that I use regularily. This may not be all that important right now - you could always download them again - but four years from now when you REALLY wish you still had that program, and the web site is long since gone, you will REALLY be glad you kept that dmg!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

it may sill be mounted. make sure you've copied the app inside tot he applications folder, then eject the dmg from finder, or by right clicking on it and selecting eject.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
remain

remain is a jewel in the roughremain is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

The "white box" is a Volume (a.k.a. a drive).
It's the DMG when you opened it; the DMG "mounts" as a Volume.

If the Volume appears every time you open MSN Messenger, then you didn't install it properly.

(Ahh, copy-paste... how I love thee. XD)

Cog 0.07 audio player - cogx.org
AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MPC, OGG, SHN, WAV, WV, tracker formats,
VG music formats, cue sheets, M3U & PLS, Growl, Last.fm, Apple Remote
Latest Nightly Build (0.08) (new interface!) - Got ideas? Report bugs?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i think you should add that to the swithcer f.a.q., then i could add a link to the post from the top of the f.a.q. .

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
remain

You know what?

No matter how much useful advice you put in a thread that you label
"F.A.Q.!! READ THIS FIRST!!!! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED!!!!!!!"
there will always be threads going "help!!1 i cant rite clik!!11 WTF!@#!@$"

;p

QUOTE Thanks
eric

for sure, but we don't want to hurt those who do search.

QUOTE Thanks
CaptainDanner

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2GHz 2GB 120GB hard drive NVIDIA graphics with 128MB SDRAM

thanks for the help. i got rid of the drive and now im trying to created a folder on the HD to stor all the .dmg files. this may sound stupid, but i can't for the life of me figure out how to create a folder. how do i do it?!?!?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

when you're in finder, and in the folder you want, one of the context menus at the top in the menu bar should have a new folder option. you can also key command+shift+N i believe. and you should be able to right click and do new folder just about anywhere if you have that enabled.

edit: i'd give you more specific info, but i'm on xp pro at work now...

QUOTE Thanks
Aubie16

Aubie16 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD

right click. (by using a two finger tap on the trackpad). then select "new folder". its the first option.

if you haven't done it yet. enable two finger clicking and two finger scrolling in your preferences section.
QUOTE Thanks
remain

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
when you're in finder, and in the folder you want, one of the context menus at the top in the menu bar should have a new folder option.
For the record, that's just a regular menu.

A "context menu" is a "right-click menu."

Quote:
i think you should add that to the swithcer f.a.q., then i could add a link to the post from the top of the f.a.q. .
OK, I've added it to the "Swithcer" F.A.Q. ;p

QUOTE Thanks
CaptainDanner

Quote:
when you're in finder, and in the folder you want, one of the context menus at the top in the menu bar should have a new folder option. you can also key command+shift+N i believe. and you should be able to right click and do new folder just about anywhere if you have that enabled.

edit: i'd give you more specific info, but i'm on xp pro at work now...
thats what i thought, right click, but when i was in the HD it didnt bring u an option to create new folder, i did it on the desktop and just draged it in. im not thinkin g, ill reduce me sensless post from now on and only ask "good" questions. thanks for the help guys
QUOTE Thanks
eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by remain View Post
For the record, that's just a regular menu.

A "context menu" is a "right-click menu."

OK, I've added it to the "Swithcer" F.A.Q. ;p
oh, criminey... that's what i get for posting from work when my mind is on eight different things.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iChat to another program... | disk cleaner / defragmenter »