New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Interesting article!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iWish

iWish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video

I'm glad I never wasted as much money on Windows systems as this guy did, but I sure relate to his frustration before switching and his good experience after.

http://tycoonreport.tycoonresearch.c...sues/684802334
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

You're right, that is an excellent article and written very well. Thanks for sharing it.

Obviously, most people here would agree with him!

"We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of smart"! - Unknown
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

He does seem to have been particularly unlucky, but it's a good read. I hadn't heard about this Halo thing before, but it's also interesting.
QUOTE Thanks
Red Snapper

Red Snapper is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video

Great read, I know I too quit the dark side because I loved my ipods.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Snapper View Post
Great read, I know I too quit the dark side because I loved my ipods.
I only bought my first Mac so I could have an Ipod. They were Mac only back then.

That was an expensive day
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I guess I am backwards. I bought a G4 Tower to mess with OSX, loved it and later bought my first iPod. I always do things backwards I guess!

I know a few who bought an iPod and later a Mac but I also know even more people who really do not like OSX or Macs but own an iPod.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I guess I am backwards. I bought a G4 Tower to mess with OSX, loved it and later bought my first iPod. I always do things backwards I guess!

I know a few who bought an iPod and later a Mac but I also know even more people who really do not like OSX or Macs but own an iPod.
I remember the fuss when Apple announced they were making Windows Ipods. Some people were genuinely furious.

Seems it didn't do Apple sales any harm in the end though.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
I remember the fuss when Apple announced they were making Windows Ipods. Some people were genuinely furious.

Seems it didn't do Apple sales any harm in the end though.
Yeah I remember that and you are right, it did a lot of good and even more iPods were sold.

I hope in the future Microsoft opens up the Zune for the people who like it to run on OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

He loses points for calling it a MAC though.

He'll learn.

Seriously though, this is kind of the same thing that happened to my brother in law. My wife and I were visiting right about the time he was going to be getting a bonus and wanted to update his computer. We showed him our Macbooks, then the clincher was when he was trying to get lottery numbers for his dad and his computer locked up. So they used my wife's Macbook (which could pull in a wireless signal with ease from his neighbor) to check these all important numbers. This started wheels turning.

Later that day I had a great deal of time with him in a hospital waiting room to give him a somewhat more extended demo (I had the Macbook to watch some DVDs, and I take it just about everywhere I go.) After the demo he informed me that he went ahead and ordered one. He had a touch of buyers remorse as we all do, but my demo set him at ease. Next day he was waiting to ambush the FedEx guy (dude, you have an Apple store within range, but WTH) and it was amazing to see the whole experience of unpacking, setting up, etc. By the third day he was regarding his old Windows desktop as "that peice of junk" and had figured out all kinds of stuff as he happily went about his business with no impediments. He tells me it's like a little robot that does his bidding without question, so he calls it "iGor".

(Mine is called iSaac, in homage to both an episode of "Futurama" and Isaac the bartender from "The Love Boat".)

He got his boss to buy one too.

I'm currently in a technical seminar at a hotel on their wireless. Everyone with the exception of one guy who had two Titanium Powerbooks had Dells or something else. The lady who was sitting next to me kept complaining that she couldn't pull in a wireless signal and had to get a hotel wireless booster. Even so I saw her later out in the lobby where "the signal was better" trying to get her email. I sat there with my Macbook getting email, doing stuff on our corporate network with my Parallels VM (just to run the corporate apps, plus I have a 'thing' about using my personal computer for work things unless I'm out in the world) and surfing the net between compiles. To be fair, the guy with the two Powerbooks also indicated he had to go out to the lobby to get on the wireless, but he acknowledged that Apple has put awesome wireless capabilities in the new Intel Macs.

Just to make this post longer, I frequent this one site where in the discussion sections anytime the subject of Macs comes up there is this one guy who likes to come in and dump all over it. He was run out of the thread by a whole bunch of recent switchers who, along with the author of that article, got tired of all the Windows/Dell/Gateway/whatever BS and bought a Macbook, including me. They were all universally 'whoa, this is an awesome computer!' because, of course, it is.
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

poor guy, had nothing but hardware problems. nothing to do with MS. can't really blame the software manufacturer for a hardware problem. the Gateway desktop would of taken 15 minutes and $20 to fix. the Dell, if he paid the extra $40, could of been fixed onsite. not sure about Toshiba though, since i have not had that problem with either of my Satellite notebooks.

must be an idiot though if it took him two days to transfer his files and emails.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
Stefan

Stefan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
must be an idiot though if it took him two days to transfer his files and emails.
I agree. How can it possibly take all weekend?!

Poor bloke though. Some people are just cursed when it comes to technology. Im one myself but not that degree! Good article

"Id rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help wth user accounts | trouble with emailing pictures »