New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Buy Mac now or wait for Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ddrum1458

ddrum1458 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD

Going to buy a Mac before starting college, trying to decide whether to wait for Leopard or take my chances and get Tiger OS on 2.16Ghz Macbook. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
timestoby

timestoby is on a distinguished road

well im waiting till leopard is out and that way it will come on the mac,instead of having to shell out extra 85£ for it
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

the macbook will not change any b4 then i think, so your just waiting on the new OS?
you can always pick up Leopard later.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

I'd buy it now, it's not like Vista where you'd have to save up $300 for it only to find that you need more RAM and a better processor.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Only you can answer that question.

Leopard comes out in October and is $129. Make of that what you will.
QUOTE Thanks
Justin_P

Justin_P is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, 8600M GT, iPod Classic 80Gb

Buy it now, then when you start college you will be a student and you can get Leopard for a low price
QUOTE Thanks
tuggle

tuggle is on a distinguished road

I was trying to wait for Leopard, but once I get that 'I gotta buy a Mac feeling' I just cant wait!
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

I'm gonna buy a Macbook soon, and will buy Leopard separately so I can install it on both machines...

I will of course buy the multlicense... *looks into a ceiling corner*

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
MikeYMS

MikeYMS has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Everyone here is right...buy now, and upgrade down the road when you have the chance.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrum1458 View Post
Going to buy a Mac before starting college, trying to decide whether to wait for Leopard or take my chances and get Tiger OS on 2.16Ghz Macbook. Any suggestions?
In my opinion, I have never ran across a mac OS I have not liked even as far back as OS9.. I see no reason to wait.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Do you need a computer now? If yes, get one now. If you don't need it immediately, wait until you do need it, then buy it.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
WasabiTaylor

WasabiTaylor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYMS View Post
Everyone here is right...buy now, and upgrade down the road when you have the chance.
Yea. Plus that free iPod will offset the cost of Leopard down the road,
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

What new features are in Leopard? I'm also in the same boat here - considering buying a mac, but i CAN wait, if it's going to be worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Check out Apple's website, it has a ton of information on Leopard's features.

I agree, get yourself the Mac now. You'll get a free iPod with it, which you can probably sell to offset the $69 you'll have to pay for Leopard in October.

Plus, in the meantime, you can familiarize yourself with Mac OS X. That way upgrading to Leopard will be far more natural

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
elbolao23

elbolao23 is on a distinguished road

if i buy a mac now and then buy leopard can i install it in more than one computer? most probably not, is there any ways of installin the same cd on 2 computers?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wiping it clean? | Disappearing Act?? »