New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I can't change print quality....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thakoolkat

thakoolkat is on a distinguished road

Anybody know how to change the print quality? I'm printing via network. I can finally get it to print from the Mac, but it's printing on the best quality. I want to change the setting to normal.
Can someone please help? Thanks

I figured it would be in the Printer Setup Utility, but the Utility picture is greyed out...

Someone help
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

I have been wondering this for ages as well.
QUOTE Thanks
thakoolkat

I forgot to mention that I have an All In One HP PSC 2210. Anyone? Please help!!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

When you go to print there is a dialog box that pops up, click on the third drop down menu and select "paper type/quality". You should be able to change the paper type, quality, and color mode.
QUOTE Thanks
thakoolkat

I don't have that option for some reason.

FYI, I have the MBP 2.2 ghz, running Tiger 10.4.9
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice

From what program are you trying to print? I know in most mac programs that dialog box comes up, but in things like photoshop its different.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Did you try accessing the controls via the Page Setup instead of directly going to the Print dialog?
QUOTE Thanks
thakoolkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Did you try accessing the controls via the Page Setup instead of directly going to the Print dialog?
I haven't tried it yet because I'm at work right now and I don't have my Mac, but I also haven't been able to choose the right printer. According to the apple website, it says that the HP PSC 2210 driver should be included in Tiger 10.4, but I don't see it anywhere.

When I finally got the printer to work, I ended up picking a different HP printer, again, when I printed, it took so long because it was doing the BEST quality. That's why i'm trying to change the printer settings.

Do you think i'll have to reformat? I'll try what you suggested when I go home.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Ok what I suggested won't work anymore than what you've tried: the problem you have not being able to change the print quality settings is because your Mac is riding with a generic printer profile. Looks like you have to load your specific printer model profile. I might have it wrong here because I'm using at school a Panther machine but you should be able to add your printer via the System Preferences panel and I can't remember if in Tiger it's under the Hardware section or something similar. But look in there, in a pref pane called Printer & Fax, perhaps?

In that pane, you should see some type of button that will allow you to add your printer as the default printer.

The screenie below is from a French OS X version we use at school but you basically just click on the + sign after the System Preferences add printer thing.

If you don't see your printer profile in the list, you might have to install GIMP-Print (goes by the name of Gutenprint now I think).

Hope this helps a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg printer_setup.jpg (27.0 KB, 17 views)
QUOTE Thanks
thakoolkat

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that GIMP-print, prints at high quality only. I originally had it set at GIMP-print, but at that time I may have not realized that I was able to change the printing settings. I really hope that I can change it.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

Yea you should install the HP driver for your printer, that will help a lot. Once you do that, you should then see if the paper type/quality option is available.
QUOTE Thanks
wcarr3

wcarr3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakoolkat View Post
Anybody know how to change the print quality? I'm printing via network. I can finally get it to print from the Mac, but it's printing on the best quality. I want to change the setting to normal.
Can someone please help? Thanks

I figured it would be in the Printer Setup Utility, but the Utility picture is greyed out...

Someone help
Koolkat,

I was a stumped with how to change the printer setting for a while when I first switched. I literally learn something new every day on my Mac.

Using the picture in the attachment, printer setting changes can be made by clicking on the arrow where it says Copies & Pages. Click the arrow there and you'll find settings such as for the layout, paper handling, color sync, paper feed, etc. If this is not what you are talking about, my apologies. For me when I found this out it was just one of those DUHHHHH moments for me.
Attached Images
File Type: png Printer settings.png (27.2 KB, 13 views)
QUOTE Thanks
thakoolkat

i installed the driver but still, no option for print quality....
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Here is where I find it for my HP - would think yours will be similar - although the PSC 2210 has been around for quite awhile, don't know how much effort HP put into the driver for it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 2.png (62.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png Picture 3.png (71.0 KB, 10 views)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
thakoolkat

bobtomay.....that's what I'm missing....do you think if I install your driver, that it may work???
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Considering RAM UPGRADE - NEW USER | I Really Am Torn! »