New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Horrible Mail problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mark.spiro

mark.spiro is on a distinguished road

Basically, I switched over abou t two months ago. I yesterday invested in O2M to transfer all my Outlook mails over. This works fine, perfectly even. But what I want to do is something which has become so useful in Outlook I just assumed it was possible in a mac.

I want to MOVE (not copy) emails into folders, so my inbox does not fill up. This has to be automatic and they have to show as 'unread'.

Is this impossible, or am I an idiot? Thanks

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
memeofme

memeofme is on a distinguished road

Hi. I just set a rule to do exacty that - using entourage under tools\rules.

Rules in Mail are under Mail\preferences.

Which mail client are you using. I'm trying to figure out how to get my outlook pst into entourage.
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.spiro View Post
I want to MOVE (not copy) emails into folders, so my inbox does not fill up. This has to be automatic and they have to show as 'unread'.
Well, are you using the built-in Mail? Entourage? Thunderbird? We need to know what mail client you are using.

Personally, in Mail, I use Smart Mailboxes. These are much like Smart Playlists in iTunes. Messages are automatically filtered into these separate folders based on any number of rules that you set for it. To set one of these up and see what I mean, open Mail, command-click on the left sidebar, then select "new smart mailbox". Set your rules, and away you go!

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

I do the same thing in mail. creating a rule in order to move messages with a certain subject into a local folder and mark them as read. Use it at work for "debug" mails from our website.

works awesome in Mail
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

Quote:
Basically, I switched over abou t two months ago. I yesterday invested in O2M to transfer all my Outlook mails over. This works fine, perfectly even. But what I want to do is something which has become so useful in Outlook I just assumed it was possible in a mac.

Is this impossible, or am I an idiot? Thanks

Mark
Not a problem, I do it all the time. If you're using Mail, go to the left pane, where you see your Inbox/Trash/etc. Right click, and create a "New Mailbox". Name it whatever you want. Then hit APPLE + comma, which should bring up the preferences list. Click the Rules tab, then make your rules. Make sure you hit "Move Message" to ... "InboxNameGoesHere"

A quick note to remember:

Smart Mailboxes (SM) - they do not actually move them into the folder, it's just a quick search criteria. Everything in your inbox gets filtered into the SM, according to the rules.

Mailbox - this is what you need to create in order for your incoming e-mail to PHYSICALLY be MOVED to the folder (if you have it set as that). It will also show up as unread.
QUOTE Thanks
mark.spiro

Thanks all for your help.
Now spending the afternoon seting up Mailboxes...
I was using Apple's Mail btw...
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

Quote:
Thanks all for your help.
Now spending the afternoon seting up Mailboxes...
I was using Apple's Mail btw...
You understand everything ok?
QUOTE Thanks
mark.spiro

Well... havnt actually started yet haha, but seems clear... If I have problems I'll post again...
QUOTE Thanks
mark.spiro

It doesn't seem to work for me (in the way that I want) but to be honest, the search is so incredible I sorted out 2000 email items in 5 mins, so I've got the mailboxes and will play with them a bit. Cheers guys.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Terminal Mail | battery question »