New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Awkward minimizing/maximizing/close buttons on the left, anyway...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rem

Rem is on a distinguished road

I've recently switched and I find the minimizing/maximizing/close buttons on the top left side of all the windows to be very awkward. Is there a way to swap it to the right side like Windows?
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

I don't think so, but just give it time, you'll get used to it...and it's not really a maximize, it's a fit best....
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I'm not even sure if a skinning program will change it, but like bmcgonag said, you'll get used to it.

I actually don't use the buttons. I either use keyboard shortcuts (Apple + W or Apple + Q) or just double click the title bar to minimize.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Nicholi

Nicholi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I'm not even sure if a skinning program will change it, but like bmcgonag said, you'll get used to it.

I actually don't use the buttons. I either use keyboard shortcuts (Apple + W or Apple + Q) or just double click the title bar to minimize.
Better yet Apple + M

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead" -- Charles Bukowski
QUOTE Thanks
wcarr3

wcarr3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
I've recently switched and I find the minimizing/maximizing/close buttons on the top left side of all the windows to be very awkward. Is there a way to swap it to the right side like Windows?
As bncgonag said, you'll get used to it. It was pretty awkward to me for about a week until it all became second nature for me.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Just wait till you get used to it, then you'll somehow need to use a computer with Windows on it, and it'll be even more awkward.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Remember, it's not Windows, so you have to get use to doing things differently.

QUOTE Thanks
srp

srp is on a distinguished road

Like everyone else said, you'll get used to it. I've had my MacBook for 6 days now and I rather like the way they're positioned. In fact, when I had XP, I used a skin to mimic the OS X interface. Glad those days are over.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

That was probably the most difficult thing for me to get used to when I switched, which is saying a lot for OS X ease of use!

Pretty soon, the Windows buttons will feel awkward!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
remain

remain is a jewel in the roughremain is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

A lot of Windows users don't know this,
but in Windows, you can double-click the icon on the top left of the window to close the window.

I actually have the habit to always go to the top left of the window to close it in both OS X and Windows.
So the only difference between OS X and Windows in terms of closing windows is:
OS X = click once
Windows = click twice

Cog 0.07 audio player - cogx.org
AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MPC, OGG, SHN, WAV, WV, tracker formats,
VG music formats, cue sheets, M3U & PLS, Growl, Last.fm, Apple Remote
Latest Nightly Build (0.08) (new interface!) - Got ideas? Report bugs?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It was not much of an issue for me since I had worked with Mac OS since 6.0.5 and up but not as much as I would have liked to. OSX was easy for me to get used to because of that. Now though since I use OSX for most usage, I tend to go there in XP to close a window!
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Personally I have to say that Mac OS X's placement is a bit odd, at least in Safari. There is quite a high possiblity of closing the window accidentally when you try to hit the back button.

Not an issue for me, I use keyboard shortcuts, but still...

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
CyberAlien

CyberAlien is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20, C2D 2.16 GHz, 3Gb, 250Gb

I think its more logical than in Windows. All menus and buttons start from left, so why window controls should be on right?

CyberAlien.
Happy Mac owner since June 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i'm in agreement with CyberAllen. i rarely have to go to the top right for anything. i'm often going to the top left for the menu bar and the buttons for finder, safari, etc. so it seems a more logical choice, and one i found very easy to get used to.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So, Is It A Good Buy? | Please help! »