New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

UPS for MacPro recommendations?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
designer22

 
Member Since: Feb 18, 2007
Posts: 16
designer22 is on a distinguished road

designer22 is offline
Hi all,

Looking for what works well for you for a MacPro system I am purchasing. I have an APC LS500 for my Wintel box that has 2 20" monitors, 3 USB external drives and a sound system plugged in to it...does the MacPro use more energy than a standard Win box, or should I be ok? Hard to know for sure, but any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

 
Member Since: May 10, 2007
Posts: 502
jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

jonnyd is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer22 View Post
Hi all,

Looking for what works well for you for a MacPro system I am purchasing. I have an APC LS500 for my Wintel box that has 2 20" monitors, 3 USB external drives and a sound system plugged in to it...does the MacPro use more energy than a standard Win box, or should I be ok? Hard to know for sure, but any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have an APC RS1500, I connect the Mac, one of two screens, cable modem and router to it. That's all I need for basic functionality, the rest go through the filter only connections.

We get regular power outages where I am. I tend to be cautious and do an orderly shutdown after about an hour or so, but it handles that just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

 
walkerj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 13, 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Posts: 1,186
walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

walkerj is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
I have an APC RS1500, I connect the Mac, one of two screens, cable modem and router to it. That's all I need for basic functionality, the rest go through the filter only connections.

We get regular power outages where I am. I tend to be cautious and do an orderly shutdown after about an hour or so, but it handles that just fine.
Wow, you get an hour outta that thing? That screen must not be a CRT! I have, I think the 1200 model of an APC UPS and I only get about 15 minutes before my screens suck it dry.

My Macbook, of course has a built in UPS unlike the Mac Pro. I had to disable the auto-shutdown software because it complained and threw all kinds of messages in the system log when the USB cable isn't connected (which is quite often, sometimes I don't bother to plug in my hub if I don't need what's connected to it. Obviously a Mac Pro is a more permanent installation.)
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

 
Member Since: May 10, 2007
Posts: 502
jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

jonnyd is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
Wow, you get an hour outta that thing? That screen must not be a CRT! I have, I think the 1200 model of an APC UPS and I only get about 15 minutes before my screens suck it dry.

My Macbook, of course has a built in UPS unlike the Mac Pro. I had to disable the auto-shutdown software because it complained and threw all kinds of messages in the system log when the USB cable isn't connected (which is quite often, sometimes I don't bother to plug in my hub if I don't need what's connected to it. Obviously a Mac Pro is a more permanent installation.)
Weird huh? Don't know the difference in spec, but I guess the 1500 must have a little more oomph. I have LCDs now, but I used to run one of two 17" Samsungs on it when the power was out.

I got rid of the powerchute software. It used to immediately shut the computer down if power went out. Seemed pointless.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Quicktime Pro: Can't save AV control changes. | Noobee ? - Want photogs opinions esp. »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
APC UPS control/status software GWR Other Hardware and Peripherals 2 03-20-2007 07:07 AM
UPS for X-serve mikod Other Hardware and Peripherals 1 02-19-2007 02:04 PM
Core Duo 20" Buzzes When UPS Backup Kicks In geekboy2000 Apple Desktops 9 06-09-2006 06:12 PM
OS X book recommendations ex_mcse Switcher Hangout 8 04-01-2006 01:18 PM
Belkin UPS and Intel Based iMac Problem... sbatson Switcher Hangout 0 02-13-2006 04:02 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?