New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

UPS for MacPro recommendations?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

designer22

designer22 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Looking for what works well for you for a MacPro system I am purchasing. I have an APC LS500 for my Wintel box that has 2 20" monitors, 3 USB external drives and a sound system plugged in to it...does the MacPro use more energy than a standard Win box, or should I be ok? Hard to know for sure, but any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer22 View Post
Hi all,

Looking for what works well for you for a MacPro system I am purchasing. I have an APC LS500 for my Wintel box that has 2 20" monitors, 3 USB external drives and a sound system plugged in to it...does the MacPro use more energy than a standard Win box, or should I be ok? Hard to know for sure, but any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have an APC RS1500, I connect the Mac, one of two screens, cable modem and router to it. That's all I need for basic functionality, the rest go through the filter only connections.

We get regular power outages where I am. I tend to be cautious and do an orderly shutdown after about an hour or so, but it handles that just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
I have an APC RS1500, I connect the Mac, one of two screens, cable modem and router to it. That's all I need for basic functionality, the rest go through the filter only connections.

We get regular power outages where I am. I tend to be cautious and do an orderly shutdown after about an hour or so, but it handles that just fine.
Wow, you get an hour outta that thing? That screen must not be a CRT! I have, I think the 1200 model of an APC UPS and I only get about 15 minutes before my screens suck it dry.

My Macbook, of course has a built in UPS unlike the Mac Pro. I had to disable the auto-shutdown software because it complained and threw all kinds of messages in the system log when the USB cable isn't connected (which is quite often, sometimes I don't bother to plug in my hub if I don't need what's connected to it. Obviously a Mac Pro is a more permanent installation.)
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
Wow, you get an hour outta that thing? That screen must not be a CRT! I have, I think the 1200 model of an APC UPS and I only get about 15 minutes before my screens suck it dry.

My Macbook, of course has a built in UPS unlike the Mac Pro. I had to disable the auto-shutdown software because it complained and threw all kinds of messages in the system log when the USB cable isn't connected (which is quite often, sometimes I don't bother to plug in my hub if I don't need what's connected to it. Obviously a Mac Pro is a more permanent installation.)
Weird huh? Don't know the difference in spec, but I guess the 1500 must have a little more oomph. I have LCDs now, but I used to run one of two 17" Samsungs on it when the power was out.

I got rid of the powerchute software. It used to immediately shut the computer down if power went out. Seemed pointless.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quicktime Pro: Can't save AV control changes. | Noobee ? - Want photogs opinions esp. »