hd enclosure and intel macbook pro
    I need to get things off my pc hard drive and figured the best thing would be an enclosure. That way I could have an external drive as well. As I looked at enclosures I saw plenty that were FW/USB for PC and MAC but then I read a review of one in which someone said it did not work with intel processor macbooks. Now I am suspicious of all of them. Do I need to be? Will the ministack v2 (w/o drive) work? Does anyone have any other cheaper recommendations?

Thanks

I couldn't tell you in all honesty, there's so many drives out there.

I have a Seagate FreeAgent 320gb I use on both my Macbook Pro and PC, all I had to do was reformat it FAT32 so both could read/write to it. Only drawback to that being, a single file in FAT32 can't be over 4gb.

EDIT:: Ah your talking about enclosures... ok i'm still totally clueless
    "Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead" -- Charles Bukowski

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    I have used many brands of External HDD enclosures and not had an issue on both my PPC and Intel Macs. I have used both FireWire and USB2. What HDD case is this? Do you have a URL?? I also have a 2-WD's and one Seagate external and all work great. 2 are Firewire.

Thanks for the quick response. Here's the url.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145336

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Somehow I feel that one dood who complained either has issues with his Mac, OSX or himself.

I have had really good luck with acomdata external HDD cases but find none on NewEgg. All they have is their already made up external drives.

Thanks, bought a Mad Dog yesterday and it works fine. My next question would be: since that was my primary hd from my pc, can I boot my intel macbook from it via usb or firewire, bypass the mac os completely and run my windows programs?. It has some software that contains data that I can't get to any way other than running the hd from my pc. In other words, would I be able to treat my macbook like a windows based laptop by booting from the now-external hd that was formerly my pc?

Anyone have thoughts on this? I don't want to run windows inside the mac os, i'd just like to usb boot my old windows hd and run a some software.

Specs:
    15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
    No, windows does not allow you to boot from an external drive. They're paranoid i guess. You can however boot your OS X from an external drive.

You can setup a small boot camp partition on your internal drive and save all your files and what not on the external for the windows partition, just format part of the external in Fat32 format. Then OSX and Windows can read and write on it.

Best,

Brian

Then I guess I'm going to have to run two computers for a while. I wanted to run my windows software on my my old hard drive, but i gather from what you are telling is that it is impossible. I don't need or want to buy mac versions of software, but still want access to the data.

Any suggestions on how to get my 2003 outlook file into Entourage?

Thread Information