New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Help! home icon

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

qwinkan

qwinkan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB

i need help, i accidentally dragged my home icon (the one that's a house) out onto the desktop and it went poof and disappeared!!!

how do i get it back?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Ok do you mean you deleted it from the left-hand sidebar of a Finder window?

I think you can open a Finder window and go to Macintosh HD -> Users and grab the icon that you see for your user account and drop it in the left-hand sidebar again. It's basically just an alias anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

You didn't mess anything up, don't worry. You just removed an Alias to your home folder (similar to a shortcut in Windows) from the sidebar in the Finder.

The sidebar holds your favourite locations for quick access, and you can customize it as you wish.

To get the icon back, double-click on your Macintosh HD and go to the "Users" folder. Then drag your "home folder" back to the sidebar.

The dock is also just a bunch of aliases, not really the application itself.

If you want a shortcut to your home folder on the desktop, go to the aforementioned users folder and right click on the home icon, select "Make Alias". You can now drag this out to the desktop and it won't go "poof" :-).

More about Aliases on Wikipedia

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

in safari?

right click between the icons, "Customize Toolbar" and drag you little house back into the bar. Voila, not homeless anymore :-)

EDIT: ok, that's a lot of different possibilities for different icons you might have lost. pick the right one!
QUOTE Thanks
qwinkan

qwinkan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB

OMG, my tummy just did several back flips there...

thank you guys (^____^)

(*whew...)
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

When I use a Wacom tablet I accidentally drag stuff off the sidebar all the freaking time. Dock too. It's real hard to keep that nib just off the surface when tracking across it and the chances of it making contact with the tablet while the cursor is going across the sidebar are better than I ever thought. I'd catch it just after the fact: "Wait, did I just see a *poof*? Aw, crap I dragged something off the sidebar again!"

Got so bad after awhile I took a screen grab of a Finder window just so I could refer back and figure out what was supposed to be there.

BTW you can also drag things (folders, home, pictures, etc.) up to the bar just below the title bar so they're always available up there too. Just take whatever folder you want to put there and drag it up next to the little spotlight thing and wait a moment. You can drop it there and it'll show up on any Finder window you open. You can't drag them off though, you need to right [control] click the icon and select 'Remove item'. Might be a good way to prevent accidental drag/poof-age.

Hey, cool you can drag just about anything up there! I forget where I learned of this one; it was definitely one of the members on this board.
QUOTE Thanks
remain

remain is a jewel in the roughremain is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
To get the icon back, double-click on your Macintosh HD and go to the "Users" folder. Then drag your "home folder" back to the sidebar.
Trivial Pursuit time!

Here's something that I think the average user doesn't know about:

You don't have to be "outside" a folder to add it to the Sidebar, Dock, and so on!

You can drag the icon in the title bar to the Finder Sidebar or to the Dock.

What you do is you bring your mouse over the folder icon in the title bar.
Click-and-hold it for a sec; the icon should turn gray.
Then you can drag it to the Finder Sidebar or to the Dock (right of the separator).

Furthermore, this can also be used to move the folder! (or copy by holding Option and drag)

Yes that's right! Move the folder (even to the Trash) while you're in it!

Neat, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
BTW you can also drag things (folders, home, pictures, etc.) up to the bar just below the title bar so they're always available up there too. Just take whatever folder you want to put there and drag it up next to the little spotlight thing and wait a moment. You can drop it there and it'll show up on any Finder window you open.

You can't drag them off though, you need to right [control] click the icon and select 'Remove item'. Might be a good way to prevent accidental drag/poof-age.
Like any Toolbar item,
you can drag them left and right or "poof-drag" them by holding Command then drag.

Cog 0.07 audio player - cogx.org
AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MPC, OGG, SHN, WAV, WV, tracker formats,
VG music formats, cue sheets, M3U & PLS, Growl, Last.fm, Apple Remote
Latest Nightly Build (0.08) (new interface!) - Got ideas? Report bugs?
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by remain View Post
Like any Toolbar item,
you can drag them left and right or "poof-drag" them by holding Command then drag.
Oh, that's cool! Well, it would still prevent accidental poof-dragging since one would be unlikely to be holding down the command key while just tracking around with a stylus. Unless you're in the app with which you'd be doing command clicking.
QUOTE Thanks
remain

remain is a jewel in the roughremain is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

Man, your icon brings me back.

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail57.html

One of my favorites.

"Then you basically put me in space and let me fly around in cool poses!"

XD

Cog 0.07 audio player - cogx.org
AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MPC, OGG, SHN, WAV, WV, tracker formats,
VG music formats, cue sheets, M3U & PLS, Growl, Last.fm, Apple Remote
Latest Nightly Build (0.08) (new interface!) - Got ideas? Report bugs?
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by remain View Post
Man, your icon brings me back.

One of my favorites.

"Then you basically put me in space and let me fly around in cool poses!"

XD
You gotta have blue hair!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« newbie, 1st post | RAM question for graphic developers »