New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

total noob questions re: iPhone & Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

charonzen

charonzen is on a distinguished road

I'm such a noob I don't even own anything Apple, much less technologies that haven't come out yet! Here's the deal: I'm going back to school in the fall, and I have my heart set on getting a Powerbook Pro (Probook? Whatever- the really nice new ones The first question: does anyone know Apple's policies per upgrading? I would have to get my laptop in August but obviously Leopard won't be out then. Or is there a confirmed discount for upgrading? Or should I just wait until Leopard comes out?

And of course (to me) the big one: I am going to get an iPhone ASAP. My phone's about to die anyway, and even though I'm not an early adopter in general, what the heck. But I just want to get the story straight on syncing. Is the current .mac account system supposed to ensure complete syncing and backups between the iPhone and any version of X, or is there still a need for a cord sync?

I realize that this is probably blindingly obvious to most, but the stuff I've found on Apple's site is all either whiz-bang marketing or tech specs - not a lot of pedestrian concerns answered, as far as I can see. If anyone takes pity on me, I'll be fine with one-sentence answers! Thanks much.
QUOTE Thanks
Bonzaisushi

Bonzaisushi is on a distinguished road

So you are wanting to pick up a macbook pro? Well i can tell you right now they are awesome computers! i wouldn't bother waiting for leopard unless you feel like waiting till wait october. Apple usually doesn't give you the upgrade, but its only 100-150 either way, and its not necessary. Honestly id buy now because you get a free ipod as well!

as for the iphone, im not sure how that will sync with .mac, i was never much a fan of .mac, but i didn't get into it to much, i back all my stuff up on my external hd.

Im with you in getting a iphone here soon as well!

I hope i somewhat helped you, its been a scatter brained day for me so apologies if i wasn't coherent.

:yinyang:
Mac Book Pro 17" 2 Gig Ram, 120 gig

Canon 1dMarkII // Canon 20D// Some Lenses
Bonzai Photography!Click me!
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

The flagship Apple laptop is the MacBook Pro. They're sweet.

Someone else should answer the question about whether Apple has any upgrading discounts, since I'm not the most knowledgable on that front. As it stands, I don't think Apple has any discounted version of OSX exclusively for upgraders, but I could be wrong.

Don't wait until Leopard comes out if you need a computer for school. Nothing that Leopard will have is mission critical for an educational environment, IMHO. Plus, if you wait, you'll be waiting half the semester until you get your computer. Better to get what you need when you need it, then upgrade later if you need to, at least in this case.

.Mac has nothing to do with the iPhone and syncing. .Mac is Apple's (rather simple) personal web hosting and email solution. While there are various sync options available in .Mac (generally confined to syncing multiple Macs together, AFAIK), it is not required for any of the iPhone's functionality.

Syncing on the iPhone is accomplished completely within iTunes, the last I read. You'll simply plug in your iPhone to your computer, open iTunes, and the device will sync your music, contacts, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

ok. They're called MacBook Pros. PowerBooks and iBooks haven't been around for years.

Apple won't give you a discount on Leopard - it will only be $120 anyway.

I have no idea what you think you're talking about with .Mac syncing to the iPhone, but .Mac is kinda like Apple's version of MSN or Windows Live as it is now called. No relation to the iPhone.

The iPhone will sync just like an iPod, I believe it works with a Universal Dock as well. You just plug it in, and sync your stuff with iTunes, like you would an iPod.

EDIT: What!? I started typing and there were no replies, I finished behind 2 others! I thought I was meant to be the fastest typer in my school...
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Leopard is being released in October, so that might turn out to be quite a wait. Though if you already have a computer, then I don't see waiting to be much of a problem. Though you should know that Apple's free iPod promotion will be well over by the time Leopard rolls out. So if you want a free iPod to go with that Macbook Pro, August might be a good time to buy one.

As for upgrading to Leopard, I believe it's either 7 or 14 days. That is, if you buy your computer and a new OS is released within 7 to 14 days, you're eligible for a free upgrade. Otherwise, you'll have to purchase the upgrade. Good news is that Apple applies the education discount to OS X, so you won't have to pay full price for Leopard (you can currently get Tiger for $69 with the student discount, so expect similar pricing for Leopard).

Sorry I can't answer your iPhone questions, though I'm guessing most people won't be able to until we get our hands on the thing.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
EDIT: What!? I started typing and there were no replies, I finished behind 2 others! I thought I was meant to be the fastest typer in my school...
Don't sweat it smurfy. All this means is that we're all quick to lend a hand to those with questions!
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrez View Post
Don't sweat it smurfy. All this means is that we're all quick to lend a hand to those with questions!
QUOTE Thanks
charonzen

Thanks for the input, all. I suppose I'm just naturally skeptical of how easily the whole Apple ecosystem is supposed to work together, but if iTunes really can sync my phone and computer, then more power to it. I'll be interested to see how that evolves.

As far as the computer goes, I'm still weighing my options. It's good to know that the OS will be so cheap, particularly with the student discount, but every little bit helps. On the other hand, the laptop that my wife used for school that I was thinking about using until October is currently being serviced at the manfacturer for the 4th time. I won't name names but the manufacturer's name starts with D and ends with LL.

Thanks again for all the advice.
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

I was under the impression that Apple offered free OS upgrades if a new OS comes out within 30 days of purchase...but I could be wrong.

I, for one, will be upgrading MY MacBook Pro with Leopard on release day with my student discount.

I think the OP's best bet would be to buy now (since the MBP just underwent quite a nice hardware revision), get the free iPod Nano (or $199 towards a larger iPod), and sell it for funds toward the iPhone. That's just what I would do, though.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
charonzen

I've been thinking along those same lines as well - I looked over the qualifying statements on the offer and the $199 credit isn't applicable towards the iPhone, sadly.

I WILL own my new toys
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
They're called MacBook Pros. PowerBooks and iBooks haven't been around for years.

*snippy snip snip*
Actually, they were only discontinued last year, check your facts, bud.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRye View Post
Actually, they were only discontinued last year, check your facts, bud.
I'M SUCH A FOOL WAH WAH WAH!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« When I go to my favorite guitar online store, the mp3 media clips don't play | Safari - url target »