New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

It's Official: Macs are NOT more expensive!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cramar

cramar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS

More ammunition to lay this old concept to rest:

http://computerworld.com/action/arti...src=hm_ts_head

Great article. Love this quote near the end:

"The release of OS X transformed the Mac marketplace. It's a vibrant, growing community. There's an excitement around Mac products, software and hardware that you just don't feel in the Windows world any longer. I'd forgotten what that felt like."

Amen!
QUOTE Thanks
MikeYMS

MikeYMS has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

good article!
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Good read, but even if Macs were a bit more expensive, I'm willing to pay. For me, it's become a necessity, not a choice.

Just like those built-in bidets. You'll never use toilet paper again.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
Good read, but even if Macs were a bit more expensive, I'm willing to pay. For me, it's become a necessity, not a choice.

Just like those built-in bidets. You'll never use toilet paper again.
Hilarious. And true.
QUOTE Thanks
Miffle

Miffle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD

Nice writing style on that one - I agree in many ways, when I was deciding which mac I want to save towards I wanted to look at what the components cost so I spent a little time just working out some rough basic costs

I was aiming at the mini originally but it didn't come out at very good value, then looking at the iMac, it came out pretty good value, all considering

The only problem is I don't need a compact case and i'd rather use one of my spare CRTs as a monitor.. I('ll still probably go for the iMac, but just as a secondary PC

Nice read, thanks for posting it
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

The misconception has really always been because Macs have often required you spend more money.

You can get a Windows PC for $250 - 300, if you aren't particularly ambitious about the specs. The cheapest Mac is more than double that.

Hence, it becomes a 'fact' that Macs cost twice as much. If you actually compare similar spec' machines, it isn't true.

It doesn't really figure so much in the home or very small network market, but if you're an IT manager buying 200 PCs at a time, that $200 - 300 difference suddenly becomes tens of thousands of dollars.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
You can get a Windows PC for $250 - 300, if you aren't particularly ambitious about the specs. The cheapest Mac is more than double that.
yea but have you ever used one of those 300 dollar pc's????? you might as well start all over again and writing out books in glyphs by using a chisel and hammer on a cave wall!!!!!

mac's and pc's are similarly priced, but like mentioned above if you can save 200 bucks a piece when buying 300 pc's that is a significant cost. but built into that cost is the savings the company will make...aka fireing half of their IT staff because there is nothing to fix!!!!
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z View Post
yea but have you ever used one of those 300 dollar pc's????? you might as well start all over again and writing out books in glyphs by using a chisel and hammer on a cave wall!!!!!

mac's and pc's are similarly priced, but like mentioned above if you can save 200 bucks a piece when buying 300 pc's that is a significant cost. but built into that cost is the savings the company will make...aka fireing half of their IT staff because there is nothing to fix!!!!
-chris
Well, that's the point. Yes, I use $300 pcs all the time.

They're just fine for knocking out spreadsheets and documents, and handling email. That's all 80% of my users ever do. The ones that don't might need a $400 pc. They all connect to servers - only then are we getting into Mac price territory.

It's not a reflection on Mac to say this. It's the same logic that dictates when you call a cab you get a Chevy, not a BMW. None of this is saying Macs are *too* expensive, it's just that for some jobs they cost too much.

A lot of people don't realise this. they just think Macs are expensive, without understanding that they're BMWs, not Chevys.
QUOTE Thanks
Miffle

Miffle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD

Nail on the head there

Coming into the computer world? You probably don't want to be spending over the odds just to check your e-mail

With apple you always know what they sell but for many tasks this is sadly limited
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all

As I said, there are thousands of reasons why Macs justify their prices, even if they have slight edge over computers. I can only say, OSX.

QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

One factor that most over look is what you get on the Mac, software wise. Initially the cost may be equal or slightly higher than PC. Then you add the cost of software, in my experience, the PC is much more costly.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

Not necessarily. It's true in terms of the quality of osftware (we all agree here) and the richness of iLife etc.

Everyone's software habits are different, but I love certain high quality applications on the Mac such as Yep, Inbox, Overflow, Xtorrent and Newsfire. They all cost me a bundle, and they're worth it.

The selection of software is also really good. I very rarely find some crappy piece written by some shady developer on the Mac.

QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

When I bought my MBP back in December, first I was interested in a change of OS. Had been experimenting with numerous distributions of Linux, and it just wasn't ready for prime time for me. As a semi-avid reader of Computerworld, MaximumPC, and PC World for many years; there began a new trend. The contributors and editors, with their disappointment in Vista, all were experimenting with OS X. And liking it. The editor of at least one of these hardcore "Windows" mags seemed to have totally made the switch and refused to have Vista on his own personal machine. So began my own look at OS X.

I always do a lot of research prior to purchasing any type of electronic hardware. Yeah, maybe too much. At least my wife thinks so. On second thought, not. By the time I make a purchase, I am already familiar with most of the pros and cons of a device. And by being familiar with a devices drawbacks (what it will not do) prior to purchase, my disappoints over the years have been extremely rare.

Anyway, on to the Apple site to see what they had to offer. Determined that the 15", 2.33Ghz and the 256MB Vram was the Apple hardware that fit into my personal needs and desires (and my budget). It seemed pretty expensive. So, next came cost analysis. On to check out HP (blech), Sony (well, maybe), Toshiba (not too bad, but just not the internal hardware I was looking for), Alienware (the bonus I had just received wasn't that big), Dell (like their monitors) and a few others. I found as the editor in the story above, none of them could compete price wise with Apple. I basically found 2 options. I could either save $500 and take a processor 2 levels down, a smaller screen, 1/2 the Vram, no built-in camera, no FW800 (on any of them), no bluetooth, or some combination of these. Or, I could spend an extra $500-750 and would have to go with a 17" screen, a little larger hard drive, maybe a built-in analog only TV tuner (no true hardware enthusaist would even consider such a thing), maybe a step up on the video card, and an X-Fi card.

After my research, the Mac hardware just plain made sense. At any price point it seemed in the Mac line, before the extras were considered, your money was going first to the best processor. As a hardware enthusiast this was a big plus for me. I just couldn't wrap my head around why companies were pairing a 1.6 or a 1.83 processor with 256MB video cards. It just plain doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It seemed to me the off-the-shelf systems were designed for a) someone that just can't afford a computer but need one (which isn't a bad thing) or b) planned obsolescence (as in, you'll be looking to replace it within 12-18 months and give them some more of your $$$ that much sooner).

So began my foray into the world of Mac's. After my hardware decision, OS X was really only the pièce de résistance.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
Not necessarily. It's true in terms of the quality of osftware (we all agree here) and the richness of iLife etc.

Everyone's software habits are different, but I love certain high quality applications on the Mac such as Yep, Inbox, Overflow, Xtorrent and Newsfire. They all cost me a bundle, and they're worth it.
I just looked at those Apps. I like OVerflow a lot, maybe I'll give it a whirl.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Final Cut Express | Well, I finally got one. »