New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

First Mac Foray, system dead?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yesimhavingfun

yesimhavingfun is on a distinguished road

So I picked up an old b&w 450mhz g3 with 578mb or so of memory to play with, curious about os x and the entire mac environment.

I got a copy of OS-X tiger imaged onto a drive and was amazed how easy everything was to setup-- true plug and play. So after playing with the GUI, which I am sure benefits from some tweaking on such an old box, I plugged into my home network to test out some file sharing capability.

Halfway through downloading a portion of my music files from a win2k box the g3 ate it with a "you must restart" box. Hmm.. On restart OS X wouldn't stop beachballing to finally load. So I try to boot into safe mode by holding shift-- get to the first pinwheel Mac boot screen and the whole system cuts off halfway through. Try again, same result. Can't find any documentation on what causes this. Won't boot normal or safe, cuts out every time.

Already only one day and I managed to hose the system... anyone know what causes this shut-off?

Thanks you all for any suggestions, can't wait to get back to playing with all the os x goodies.
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Sounds to me like an issue with one (or more) of three things:
1. Logic board (motherboard of a Mac)
2. Hard Drive (bad sectors? Try running disc utility and disc repair from the OS X startup DVD)
3. Perhaps you fried some RAM.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
chrisgrieve

chrisgrieve is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)

i had this problem with my g4 iBook, but it was when i was trying to connect to internet via usb dongle, but then once i got a new router and airport card is stopped, but not sure if this is the same as your problem. i just know how annoying it is when it keeps making you restart.

hope you get it sorted out soon.

chrisgrieve
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Well, the issue he is experiencing is different...he simply can't boot into the operating system, period.

Based on the info provided, and the fact that a Kernel Panic (You need to restart your computer - grey screen) initiated it all spells out a critical hardware error to me.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

well it is a G3. You can't blame if it if it can't handle much.
QUOTE Thanks
Miffle

Miffle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD

I'd agree with jernel panic

smurfy, try doing that task on a G3, its more than up to it - Before the ethernet port on the logic board of my G3 went it could handle a lot more than that (Lower spec than OP)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« It's official, Windows is a Virus! | My life is now my iLife »