Specs:
    15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
    Speakers for MBP?
    I plan on switching to a new 17" MBP soon and I'm just doing my research first and also saving money haha. I was wondering if anybody knows if it is possible to hook up surround sound speakers to it? would I need some type of separate hardware to do it? If so how would the quality be? the speakers in question are the Logitech z-5300e speakers. If anybody has any info it would be appreciated.

Specs:
    15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInvsbleMan View Post
    I plan on switching to a new 17" MBP soon and I'm just doing my research first and also saving money haha. I was wondering if anybody knows if it is possible to hook up surround sound speakers to it? would I need some type of separate hardware to do it? If so how would the quality be? the speakers in question are the Logitech z-5300e speakers. If anybody has any info it would be appreciated.
    The speakers you are asking about require seperate audio inputs for left/right, center/subwoofer, and rear. You would be able to use these if you bought a USB external soundcard that has these seperate outputs. If you want to use surround sound speakers without buying an external sound card, you'll need to buy a TOS-link cable with headphone jack adapter (the MacBook series, regular and pro, have optical-out built-in to the headphone jack), as well as a set of surround sound speakers that accept an optical audio signal. I know Logitech makes a set of these, it's like one or two models above the ones you are looking at.

Welcome!
    MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White

Thread Information