New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

planning to purchase macbookpro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nyzwerewolf

nyzwerewolf is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP: 2.40ghz, 4gb ram, 256mb vram

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie to MAC. Never owned MAC before. I'm planning to buy a MacBook Pro. Going to order it tonight! I also would like to throw in windows vista. Any one know if i can throw in Windows Vista x64?

looking forward to your comment/suggestions!
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Hey nyzwerewolf,

Welcome to the forums. MacBook Pro is an a great Notebook. Congrats in Advance.

I have the Black MacBook and I run Windows XP on it with no issues through Parallels. I know for a fact that Parallels supports Vista, but I am not sure if Boot Camp does. But I don't think there will be a problem running Windows Vista x64 on you MBP, but then again I am not 100% sure.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Hellerphant

Hellerphant is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.16ghz, 1gb Ram, 120gb Hdd|iBook- 800mhz, 512Ram, 30gb HDD

Congrats mate!

I also made the switch not long ago with a White Macbook (wasn't paying the extra $300 for the colour lol) and have had nothing but EXCELLENT things to say about it

As for Vista, I was assured that Vista is compatible with Bootcamp by the Mac salesman so you should have no issues with running it via Parallels or Bootcamp

Are the mac processors 64 bit though? I'd be interested to know. I have 32 Vista Ultimate on my PC, I was given it to me by work for no cost, if I had a say I'd go for the 64 bit version (I'm running a Dual Core 4800+ 64bit)

Anyway keep me posted about your feeling with your new toy!

Heller
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

You can run Windows Vista on any Intel mac. That's the short of it.

Here's the long:

Windows Vista of ANY version will run through BootCamp, provided you have beta version 1.2 or higher (1.2 is the highest version out right now).

Parallels will likewise run any version of Vista, HOWEVER, the EULA of Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic and Home Premium explicitly forbid running the OS through virtualization...this means Parallels.

What this essentially means is that in order to run Windows Vista through Parallels, you MUST have Vista Business or Ultimate. Otherwise you'd be violating the EULA.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
Miffle

Miffle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD

The Core 2 Duo range are 64bit, if the last core duo mac is the mini, its the last 32bit mac

I find the intel transition very interesting - you've got your G4 32bit then the G5 64bit, then core duo 32bit

Hard to even compare powerPC and intel but still

If I were you i'd just Ultimate on it - I hope you enjoy

Hellerphant - nice CPU you have there
QUOTE Thanks
nyzwerewolf

hello guys,

thanks for all your advices! So yea, i went and picked up a brand new macbook pro @ 2.40ghz. I love it so far. It just gets pretty wild hot.. thats all.

So yea, i installed bootcamp, threw in Windows Vista 64bit, my "Right Click" doesn't work, and i cant see my Ethernet Adapters/Wireless Adapter in the "Control Panel > Network & Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections"

anyone knows why?

Is this b/c the bootcamp drivers for windows are 32bit? let me know guys! thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

I think I heard that there was a new version of Parallels out recenly and another beta bootcamp. Apprarently bootcamp will be part of Leopard when it arrives also. There is a program from VMware I think that will also allow Vista through Mac.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyzwerewolf View Post
hello guys,

thanks for all your advices! So yea, i went and picked up a brand new macbook pro @ 2.40ghz. I love it so far. It just gets pretty wild hot.. thats all.

So yea, i installed bootcamp, threw in Windows Vista 64bit, my "Right Click" doesn't work, and i cant see my Ethernet Adapters/Wireless Adapter in the "Control Panel > Network & Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections"

anyone knows why?

Is this b/c the bootcamp drivers for windows are 32bit? let me know guys! thanks again.
That is a good question, indeed. If I were you, since not a TON of software/drivers are available in 64-bit versions for Windows quite yet, I would install Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. You'll get the same experience, since the MacBook Pro can support only 4 GB RAM anyway, there's no need to run 64-bit Windows.

Plus, all of the updated (1.2 and beyond) Boot Camp drivers work surprisingly well under Vista 32-bit. I have Ultimate installed right now ONLY to play Halo 2. =)

Edit: From the Parallels Desktop for Mac Website:
Note: only 32-bit Guest Operation Systems are being supported now.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
nyzwerewolf

Hey guys,

So I removed the 64bit Vista, and loaded the 32bit. Works fine. The only thing that doesnt work is the iSight. Here is a link for the Device Manager:
http://kreazionz.com/pics/macbookpro/devicemanager.jpg

Also, even when the power is plugged into the MacBookPro, Windows Vista thinks it is still running on battery...
http://kreazionz.com/pics/macbookpro/ac.jpg

Anyone knows a fix for these?

MacBook Pro :: 2.40 Intel Core 2 Duo @ 800Mhz FSB :: 4GB RAM @ 677Mhz :: 256MB Nvidia 8600 GT
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Well, I finally got one. | Dock help »