New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Deleting a program?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sunshine1686

sunshine1686 is on a distinguished road

I thought that when you drop a program into the trash that it deletes it? I just deleted Flip4mac but when I searched it in Spotlight there were still files on my computer! What do I do?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Sandwichman

Sandwichman will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD

If you haven't emptied the trash, they may show up there (not sure). If that isn't what's happening, the files are probably just support files like preference lists. Just drag those to the trash to get rid of them.

Sitting, waiting, wishing...
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine1686 View Post
I thought that when you drop a program into the trash that it deletes it? I just deleted Flip4mac but when I searched it in Spotlight there were still files on my computer! What do I do?

Thanks
Some Programs have Removal Tools to completely uninstall the program from your Computer this can include all the Preference Files and other Files that may have been saved onto your Computer.

However if you wish to to remove every trace from your computer check out their Support Pages where it will tell you everything that was installed,then Delete and Empty Trash.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
Nicholi

Nicholi is on a distinguished road

I'm a recent switcher with the same issue, so I picked up AppDelete a nifty little program that claims to clean up all the files left behind. So far i'm pleased, it seems to do a decent job.

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead" -- Charles Bukowski
QUOTE Thanks
Brendan

Brendan is a jewel in the roughBrendan is a jewel in the rough

I have tried both AppDelete and AppZapper on a friends computer and I prefer AppZapper because I feel the interface and options are much nicer.

Although AppZapper isn't free I feel its worth it.

Brendan Welsh
Aluminum Macbook Owner
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
I have tried both AppDelete and AppZapper on a friends computer and I prefer AppZapper because I feel the interface and options are much nicer.

Although AppZapper isn't free I feel its worth it.
I think AppDelete does the job well enough. You just drag the app into the icon, it's the easiest way fo deleting it. Why would you pay extra for an application that just deletes applications?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cant detect printer | parallels on usb »