New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Glossy or Matte : New Macbook Pro ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

techmonkey

techmonkey is on a distinguished road

The only decision I have to make now is to get a Glossy or Matte screen on the 15" MacBook Pro I plan on buying. Anyone have any Pros/Cons of each? I know that things look more vibrant on the Glossy, but it also reflects like more.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Please search for this topic, there have been a ton of threads on this very thing:

glossy vs matte screen
Glossy or Not
Rants/Raves, Pros+ Cons about Matte V.S. Glossy Screen???
glossy or regular?
Glossy Display
Matte or Glossy Macbook Pro?
Glossy screens or normal screen?

I like the matte because the glossy reflects too much and if you dont look at it from the right angle the colors get washed out. Plus I do graphic design and the glossy screen enhances the colors too much so they arent true to what would be printed.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Matte. Unless you don't want to be able to see anything on your screen =)

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
core20

core20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo

that is a bunch of serious bull, i am surprised that matte is still sold, you will have LITTLE to no glare,.. personally i have had virtually none at all. unless you plan on using your laptop in direct sunlight.. the matte screen is rather dull and bland whereas the glossy is significantly brighter and more vibrant. Apple just updated to a sweet video geforce card, EXPLOIT the capabilities, why not get glossy so you can enhance the viewing experience.

oh yea, i think the glossy
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |

I prefer the glossy by far, but you can get serious glare if you work with your back to a window or in the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
Matte. Unless you don't want to be able to see anything on your screen =)
Picked up a MBP yesterday with a glossy screen. I've made sure to use it in several lighting conditions just to make sure I don't have any problems with reflections. I've used it in the dark, outside, under flourescent lighting... happy I went with glossy, the colors are amazing and I can see everything! =P
QUOTE Thanks
techmonkey

techmonkey is on a distinguished road

Are the glossy screens more prone to scratches, or rather more prone to show scratches?
QUOTE Thanks
katherine

katherine is on a distinguished road

I really like my glossy screen. I feel like everything just looks so much smoother and nicer.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice

Glossy screen is beautiful to look at, yes. But if you have a window or source of light (even bright objects) you will see their reflection on the screen and it will get annoying fast.

Think about it... CRTs used glass because they HAD to. What other displays use glossy screens?
Movie theatre, no. Project TVs, no. wwhhyy?? because you dont want reflections.

A matte screen will show you the true image generated by the computer. Glossy will reflect your surroundings.

I think glossy is just to show off, 'look at my shiny toy'. Aside from the reflections... whats the difference? I bet if you put both in dark rooms w/ zero reflections they'd look exactly the same.

QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice

Quote:
I think glossy is just to show off, 'look at my shiny toy'. Aside from the reflections... whats the difference? I bet if you put both in dark rooms w/ zero reflections they'd look exactly the same.
That's not too nice when it's a matter of opinion!? I wouldn't have chosen glossy (had I gone for MBP over the MB) to show off.

The difference is very much one of the individual eye! If you don't see anything different other than reflections, that's valid enough. I see the glossy colors more brilliantly with a higher contrast. (Also, I was looking at an Authorized Reseller, not the freakishly, overly lit Apple store.)

I very nearly got a 15" MBP with glossy screen, but decided the size and heat were more than I wanted to deal with.

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
core20

core20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo

size and heat are irrelevant, i have NO heat problems at all. The glossy screen is superior, period. Some glare may exist , but not much, if you have your back to the sun,... CLOSE THE BLINDS !!! the picture is more brilliant and vibrant, if you like tosee the effects of a graphic card then get glossy, but if your a safe kind of person and complain about every little detail then get the matte. personal opinion at the end of the day..

--
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

i think i would get matte. you might like glossy, period

no glare > picture more brilliant and vibrant
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

OK, sorry if I was mean.

The glossy gives the illusion of crisper images. But they are not. You have a finite number of pixels. Putting a glossy piece of plastic over the display will not make it more vibrant or raise your dpi.

For a professional in graphics or video, i'd recommend the matte - so you see the truest colors and shapes possible. For an office pro, number cruncher, or musician / sound engineer, it probably doesn't matter as much.

Related story...
My boss made me upgrade to Vista and gave me a matte 17" samsung LCD. I had put on a desktop picture of a calm lake with a steep steep mountain and the reflections were beautiful. So much so, that my boss did not believe the screen was matte. The image's reflections gave the perception of a glossy screen. I turned off the monitor... matte as can be.

QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Quote:
The glossy gives the illusion of crisper images. But they are not. You have a finite number of pixels. Putting a glossy piece of plastic over the display will not make it more vibrant or raise your dpi.
Agreed. The talk about "seeing the effects of the graphics card" with a glossy screen is just strange, in my mind. It's as giulio said - all it is is a piece of plastic over the screen. It's not going to make your graphics card work any better or worse. The only thing the glossy screen affects is your perception of the colors on the screen, and unless you're a professional who needs accurate color reproduction (in which case you should get the matte), it's all a matter of what you like to look at.

I have a matte MBP, while my brother has a MacBook. Both screens are very pleasing to the eye. I just prefer the matte.
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

OH! This morning I remember precisely why I didn't want the matte, beyond my impression of the colors, etc.

With matte I had to have the screen angle placed at a specific degree in order to see the display in it's entirety. The glossy display doesn't "fade away" that quickly with the angle. The matte reminded me a little of those "animated" baseball cards where you tilt them different directions to see two or three different poses, and have to hold it in a precise spot in order to view!

At any rate, it wasn't horrible ~ it just wasn't what I wanted. Giulio, you're right about the graphics and video. I'm a musician so matte is not a necessity.

Core20, I happen to be very sensitive to temperature, so it is not irrelevant for me (or others like me). The heat of the MBP was quite noticeable and uncomfortable for the heels of my hands while I typed.

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying a MacBook? | NeoOffice or OpenOffice? »