Can OSX read/write to a shared windows NTFS folder?
    Can OSX read/write to a shared windows NTFS folder?

Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    I do not believe it can write but it should be able to read.
    Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month

Specs:
    iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano
    'Shared' as in 'on a network'? Sure it can. Browse the Network for the computer then the shared folder.
    schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
    Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.

Specs:
    15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
    Any computer can write to any drive ON A NETWORK as long as the client computer is allowed the proper permissions on the host computer.

If you are talking about directly connecting an external drive via USB or FireWire formatted NTFS, you can only read. To write to this drive, it must be formatted FAT32.
    MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White

Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
    Any computer can write to any drive ON A NETWORK as long as the client computer is allowed the proper permissions on the host computer.

If you are talking about directly connecting an external drive via USB or FireWire formatted NTFS, you can only read. To write to this drive, it must be formatted FAT32.
    Yea, that's what i meant....
    Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month

Yes, my host computer will be my desktop (WinXP Home, all drives formatted NTFS). If I set the Shared Folder to "Allow Network Users To Change My Files", OSX should be able to read/write to those folders?

Since the MBP I plan on buying only has 120GB drive, I have nearly 600GB on my desktop computer. I plan on storing my photos, music, videos on my Windows desktop and accessing them from the MBP.

Specs:
    MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
    To write to this drive, it must be formatted FAT32.
    Or use MacFuse and NTFS-3G, which means you won't have to do any reformatting.

Writing to a shared NTFS partition uses the SMB protocol. Macs come with SAMBA which is the open source implementation of SMB. It works just fine.

You don't need MacFuse or anything else. Just open Finder, click GO and select "Connect to Server" From there you list the IP address and share name. (example: smb://192.168.0.2/sharedfolder) As long as folder sharing on you Windows server is setup correctly, you will be prompted for credentials and connected.

Specs:
    15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by techmonkey View Post
    Yes, my host computer will be my desktop (WinXP Home, all drives formatted NTFS). If I set the Shared Folder to "Allow Network Users To Change My Files", OSX should be able to read/write to those folders?
    This is correct. Be aware that the MacBook may ask you to sign in to the shared folder when you connect to it. Just use your Windows XP username and password.
    MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
    You don't need MacFuse or anything else. Just open Finder, click GO and select "Connect to Server" From there you list the IP address and share name. (example: smb://192.168.0.2/sharedfolder) As long as folder sharing on you Windows server is setup correctly, you will be prompted for credentials and connected.
    I think he means you can use MacFuse to access the drive directly via USB vice over a network if desired.

Specs:
    MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
    Yes, to directly access it via USB.

My macbook was up and running on my windows network in a few minutes thanks to apple talk. It functions as well on the network as any windows computer would.
    Macbook 13" / 320GB 7200 RPM HD 16MB / C2D 2 GHZ / 2GB / Snow Leopard / Boot Camp / XP PRO SP3

Thread Information