New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

thumbprint scanner?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EYPUFF

EYPUFF is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive

My friend who has a PC has this really cool gadget where his password is his fingerprint. Now i find no real use in this feature.. yet. Probably within the next month and a half i'll be working with some pretty heavy stuff, that will require a lot of security. the company will be buying me a whole new computer for it and will keep it after the project. but wut i have to do is well "classified" haha, well not really. I just have to do some photshop and video/audio editing. but its somethings that they would rather not have out in the public yet. so they are taking all of these precautions and such. but a fingerprint thinga-ma-bob would be cool. and i'll probably be able to write it off as an expenditure.. and i'll be able to keep it. but it'll have to be some what inexpensive. say under 150? but umm.. yah anybody know if there is one that is cross platform? well TIA.

EY

PowerBook G4. iLove it.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

A "fingerprint scanner" isn't going to make your computer anymore secure, especially not a Macintosh. All OS X Macs can be easily accessed without a password, by simply holding down COMMAND-S on bootup. That's it.

If you want to secure your system, you need to:
A) Encrypt super important files with 128-bit or better encryption
and
B) Install an Open Firmware password, to disable the above mentioned hotkey

Unfortunately, encoding a video file is impractical as it would take eons to do it. Only small text files and images are easily encoded. I would however recommend that you install the Open Firmware password, if nothing else. The program to do it can be downloaded from Apple's website.
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

my friend has one for his pc. i dont think he would have bought it if it was $150. the only os x one i see is made by sony, and does cost $150

its a pointless and silly device though :-P

but if you can write it off, and you want it...have fun :-P
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

wait...are you saying that macs are actually less secure than windows in this situation.......

what exactly does this command + s do?...and if it actually does get u in without a password....why even bother putting passwords in?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplejustWorks
wait...are you saying that macs are actually less secure than windows in this situation.......

what exactly does this command + s do?...and if it actually does get u in without a password....why even bother putting passwords in?
Apple+S boots you into single user mode which is basically the entire screen as a terminal

a novice could do very little damage here but anybody with knowledge of unix commands could copy and delete any files you wont

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
anybody with knowledge of unix commands could copy and delete any files you wont
wtf. why does that guy in the panther intro video say that if the computer is lost with filevault enabled, it will take "a hundred and forty nine trillion, with a t, trillion years to crack it"?????
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

Deleting files isn't the same as accessing their content. If your files are encrypted with filevault, it probably would take trillions of years to access their contents.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Yup, and having a situation in which the box itself is accessible enough that it must provide the only security isn't a good thing, as the whole box could be removed at that point along with other things there no? If it's about roomates... well...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Voices? | PC programs and their Equivalent on a Mac »