New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Superdrive...REALLY worth the extra $$$?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joeytpg

ok, i was reading a few post on the apple.com discussion forum and some people were saying that the Superdrive isn't REALLY worth the 200 bucks!....i mean.....i'd like to know your own opinon..........how many of you here REALLY give the proper use that the Superdrive is intended to......it's great if it comes standard on the machine you bought.....but is it really with paying the extra 200 bucks apple asks if you "add" it to an already "combo-ed" machine?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Do you wanna burn DVDs?
QUOTE Thanks
Joeytpg

i'd like to, but then again.....sometimes the human mind WANTS to do something...but it doesn't mean you're REALLY gonna do it AS MUCH as you think.....so if i don't buy it.....i can save a a lot of money....and then if i want to burn dvd's i can buy an external dvd.......
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

That's a very good thought, or even borrow one if it's gonna be a rare thing... Also I hear the notebooks get real hot burning CDs...
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

personally, i use mine.

but i agree...it came with my machine...

although i would have added it if it didnt.... (i was making a godly computer...not some wussy machine...so the best had to be in it)

i burn dvd's all the time... if you wont, i wouldnt spend $200 extra on it.

then later if you do want one, get an external or something...and that way you can read and write at the same time....because the one thing i really hate is only having 1 disk drive... i cant multi task for the life of me. if im burning a 1x dvd-r, for 45min my only cd-rom is being used... which is poor design on apples part...i have a dual processor.. hell if i cant do 2 things at once

oh well hehe
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Well, I didn't have one before my iPod...and nobody in my house did....and it seemed worth it...I mean...a freakin 12" laptop that can burn dvds?....heck ya I'm gonna get it..and the rest is history....even though I've only burned four or five dvds in 6 months.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

There are two questions to ask yourself.
1) Do you have a specific need for this burner?
2) Do you have a PC or desktop Mac?

The reason I ask the second question is because Apple charges roughly twice for the Superdrive of what it's worth. So if you have a PC or desktop Mac, just buy a DVD burner for IT...for half the price.

If you just want a Superdrive 'cause it's "neato" then I'd say don't do it.
QUOTE Thanks
Joeytpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris22x
There are two questions to ask yourself.
1) Do you have a specific need for this burner?
2) Do you have a PC or desktop Mac?

The reason I ask the second question is because Apple charges roughly twice for the Superdrive of what it's worth. So if you have a PC or desktop Mac, just buy a DVD burner for IT...for half the price.

If you just want a Superdrive 'cause it's "neato" then I'd say don't do it.

yup ...that's the thing i have a PC, and i hope in a year or so i can buy a powermac....

but i'll save the $200 on the superdrive and stick to the combo, that way i can MAYBE get the 12" powerbook...... but i don't know!!

ibook 14" 1.2 looks great too .but it's the screen size that worries me the most!.....is it VERY noticeable the difference between the 12" PB and the 14" ibook??

PB is a better machine i know....but the ibook rules too..and it's 300 buck less.... but i dunno! ....the screen is the one that worries me the most.
QUOTE Thanks
Sundance

i didn't get the superdrive because, really i didn't see myself burning dvd's while out with my laptop... on top of that the superdrive costs $200 which is probably how much a new DUAL layer external dvd writer will cost in 6 months. so i'm going to get an external dual layer dvd writer later on... i figure my dvd writing needs aren't that great right now.

the only set back to this is that if you don't get the internal superdrive then you won't be able to use idvd...
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Wait until the blu-ray disks come out... 50 gigs on a 2 sided disk! O_O
QUOTE Thanks
Sundance

blue ray?! what is that? i haven't heard of that... when is that coming out?
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

It's a disk Sony is developing.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Unless you plan on doing a lot of video work, transferring movies to DVD or making your own, The superdrive is kind of overkill if you ask me, I would just get the combo. You can always get an external drive if you really feel like you absolutely NEED to burn DVDs on a regular basis.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
prozach1576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytpg
yup ...that's the thing i have a PC, and i hope in a year or so i can buy a powermac....

but i'll save the $200 on the superdrive and stick to the combo, that way i can MAYBE get the 12" powerbook...... but i don't know!!

ibook 14" 1.2 looks great too .but it's the screen size that worries me the most!.....is it VERY noticeable the difference between the 12" PB and the 14" ibook??

PB is a better machine i know....but the ibook rules too..and it's 300 buck less.... but i dunno! ....the screen is the one that worries me the most.
If it will be your only computer...I say go with the bigger screen. A 12" screen is far too small, IMO. How much more would it cost you to get the lowerend 15" PB? The widescreen display is possibly one of the most amazing things ever.....so much room!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« msn messenger problems | Disappearing fonts & piccies in Quark 6!!! »