New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

i just don't know! (14" ibook Vs. 12" PB)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joeytpg

Guys....i really don't know what to do..... i mean...i know exactly what to do!! which is Listen to my pocket! ehhe ($$$) but i'm stuck..... i was down at apple.com checkin' the differences between the 14" 1.2 ghz ibook, WITH Superdrive, and the 1.33 12" PB WITH Superdrive, both with Apple's Care Plan ($200 plus for the ibook, 300 plus for the pb)

but then again....my question is this...... IS IT REALLY worth paying the extra (200 something?) for the powerbook?

Because...if you take a look, you got a little bit more power with the PB, and bigger video card memmory, but how can you notice that?...while playing games?...or while watching a DVD, or a video?....how can you notice that??

in my case BOTH systems will have Superdrive, they'll be close in speed (1.2ghz Vs. 1.33 ghz) bigger screen for the iBook (but i don't know if this is an advantage, because the Powerbooks have a different size design, they are WIDE instead of JUST BIG, so i don't know if the 12" PB is gonna be the same as the 14" ibook..... (YOU TELL ME)

so what do you think guys??....is it worthy?
plus i need to buy the case, plus an external mouse, and at least a 512 Memmory RAM stick.....so it'll be 768, then later i'll change the 256 card for a 512, and have a GIG, but that's LATER....

so that's an EXTRA expense....over the final Laptop price....so i would like a little help... maybe a can save a little bit more and buy the PB, but then again, if it's not REALLY worth THAT MUCH, then i'll just go ahead and buy the ibook with the other things i need.......

i need opinions, inputs! please :confused: :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

If you're not gonna run RAM hungry apps most of the time, the iBook would be fine. Especially since you're gonna boost the RAM right off!
QUOTE Thanks
Joeytpg

what do you mean with "ram hungry apps" ??....photoshop??...i'll be using some photoshop.....and some free hand......but even with that....do you think the ibook will do the job?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Because of the faster system bus in the Powerbook, you may wanna really think about that instead then, Photoshop is a bit hard on system resource
QUOTE Thanks
Joeytpg

but i'll be messing a little bit with photoshop....but not like a "living" i'll just pla around with it, and maybe use it on a couple of college works, and stuff....but not like a "PRO Photoshop" stuff.....
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

you'll have no problem running photoshop with the new iBooks...they're no as fast as my 1ghz pb....and it runs things great....I would get at least 512 ram...but that even goes for the powerbook...I have 768...I can run iChat, safari, photoshop, illustrator, indesign all at the same time, with no problems...so if you get the 1.2ghz 14" iBook, you'll be more than fine...especially if you fill that puppy with some ram....but like me, you may just want the kick butty one; the PB....and yes...the new powerbooks not only look amazing...but are very amazing machines.....

I would suggest if you have just enough money for the ibook, get it..you'll be super happy.....I don't think you'll see a big difference. The powerbook is good, but more expensive...and the trick is to get a good laptop...and not kill yourslef with debt or anything like that. The only reason I was able to get the pb is because my grandmother gave me some money....if it wasn't for her, I would've gotten an iBook for sure.....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how much is enough? | I think I'm going to go crazy »