New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Purchasing a mac via e-bay?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bryank89

bryank89 is on a distinguished road

With college on the rise I must begin to watch every penny I spend...
With that e-bay seems like a viable outlet to save some big bucks, but not without a few concerns.

Should I be concerned with counterfeit products?(I'm aware there is always a risk, but our macs particularly susceptible to counterfeiting?)
Many e-bay sellers state that the unopened laptops comes with a 1-year warranty. It is my understanding that manufacturer warranties only apply to the original buyer. How would a warranty carry over for an item purchased via an e-bay store? Would the 1 year warranty begin upon registration of the product?
Lastly, can an Apple Protection Plan be applied to products purchased via e-bay?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You should definitely be careful when buying an expensive item on eBay, but as long as you know what you're doing, then you should be fine.

If it's an unopened box, then there should be no problem with the original warranty. All you need to do is register the Mac under your name and you should be fine.

Finally, you will most definitely be able to add AppleCare to your eBay bought Mac. How AppleCare works is that you have to register it online. You need the AppleCare code and the Mac's serial number, so it doesn't matter where you purchased it.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bryank89

bryank89 is on a distinguished road

Awesome!

Mucho Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

If you'd like to get technical about it, Apple can find the original "in-service" date and apply the one year factory warranty to that date. This is the date that the computer was originally purchased from Apple. As long as this date was less than 1 year ago, you have the option to purchase and register AppleCare, and protect the computer for another 2 years.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

Seeing as your a student, I've found eBay prices on macs to generally be around the same as student discounts... in some cases even for used ones. I don't think eBay is the best way to go when it comes to shopping for a mac, but that's just me.

On a side note, I also find people paying at (or even sometimes above!) retail prices on some items... I've never understood this? Too much money in their Paypal accounts I hope. Sorry... nothing to do with your post.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp questions. | Driving me crazy! »