Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Trouble with IE accessing web sites....
    I am having a problem accessing web sites after I have located it on Google. Google finds sites very quickly but I can't open them! The bar across the bottom shows about three to four green marks and then stalls out on me. I have no problem working in Safari reaching the internet and sites but I have to be able to reach sites using IE (or something else) on Windows XP for specific software upgrades.

I have upgraded to the latest IE yesterday but I am still frustrated. I called Parallels yesterday and paid for phone assistance to no avail. The tech said she had fielded a similar call yesterday about the same issue.

Now I know you guys know about this issue (someone has to...right?) and will help this damsel in distress.

Many thanks ahead of time. (Isn't this Mac World great?)

Specs:
    Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeartrack View Post
    I am having a problem accessing web sites after I have located it on Google. Google finds sites very quickly but I can't open them! The bar across the bottom shows about three to four green marks and then stalls out on me. I have no problem working in Safari reaching the internet and sites but I have to be able to reach sites using IE (or something else) on Windows XP for specific software upgrades.

I have upgraded to the latest IE yesterday but I am still frustrated. I called Parallels yesterday and paid for phone assistance to no avail. The tech said she had fielded a similar call yesterday about the same issue.

Now I know you guys know about this issue (someone has to...right?) and will help this damsel in distress.

Have you tried Firefox? www.mozilla.com

IE doesn't have a great reputation anyway.

Specs:
    20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
    your using IE? internet explorer? LOL. if i expressed my opinions on IE i would be banned for swearing. IE is really bad. I dunno how to solve the problem, but I would recommend switching to Firefox.

Specs:
    Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
    These folks are right. Use safari to download Firefox. It's a great, very user friendly program that is good for computer freaks and not-so-freaks.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    your using IE? internet explorer? LOL. if i expressed my opinions on IE i would be banned for swearing. IE is really bad. I dunno how to solve the problem, but I would recommend switching to Firefox.
    Microsoft's official Windows NT training course in the 90's used to have a very high opinion of Internet Explorer.

On the TCP/IP course, there was a list of protocols that NT4 uses, including amongst the expected ones, a protocol called 'IE'.

Protocol??

Specs:
    MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad

Wow!! Yikes!! IE? One additional reason for going with OS X as much as possible. Sorry for the appearance as if I'm piling on. What other website do you HAVE TO access with IE besides the dreaded Windows Update site?

Okay, Firefox it is. BUT...if I download it in Safari, that will be the Mac version and I need the Windows version, right? How does one go about that?

Specs:
    Okay, Firefox it is. BUT...if I download it in Safari, that will be the Mac version and I need the Windows version, right? How does one go about that?
    http://www.mozilla.com/products/down...win&lang=en-US

edit - I assume you're American. All versions of all languages are on This page

Your suggestions worked like a charm! Thanks, gentlemen.

Specs:
    20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
    Microsoft's official Windows NT training course in the 90's used to have a very high opinion of Internet Explorer.

On the TCP/IP course, there was a list of protocols that NT4 uses, including amongst the expected ones, a protocol called 'IE'.

Protocol??
    That's because it's Microsoft's course, so they aren't gonna start bashing their own software.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    That's because it's Microsoft's course, so they aren't gonna start bashing their own software.
    Yes, but to list it as a protocol is kind of ambitious.

Specs:
    iMac
    Lightbulb

Why ?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I also recommend Firefox as opposed to IE, however, if you want to fix the problem with IE, give this a try:

Start with Internet Explorer closed and no other applications open within Windows.

- Click Start => Run, type: regedit
    ...and hit Enter.
    - Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER => Software => Microsoft => Internet Explorer.
    - Right-click the Internet Explorer folder in the tree and click Delete.
    - Close the Registry Editor
    - Open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, click Options. Click the Connections tab.
    - Click the LAN Settings button
    - Uncheck the box marked "Automatically Detect Settings" (if checked). Click OK and OK to clear the Internet Options window.

That should correct any settings related problems with IE. Normally I would suspect a problem with the Parallels' network configuration, but if FireFox is OK, chances are that it's just a settings problem with IE.

Although IE is a crappy browser and largely irrelevant, you will need to use it to run Windows Updates which are important to keep current.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Good job CWA107 as always.

I do not like IE at all but some especially Web Designers need IE to be sure the site they are designing will display correctly in Internet Explorer. IE is probably still the most used browser out there and it's not good to design something that will not display on IE correctly. I have Windows machines set up with IE, Firefox and Opera to test out sites I am working on.

On the PC I do use Firefox for most all my browsing the Web, But having IE there sometimes is still very important.

Let us know if you try what CWA107 suggested and if it works.

Angry Still in trouble reaching internet via Windoows?Parallels
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I also recommend Firefox as opposed to IE, however, if you want to fix the problem with IE, give this a try:

Start with Internet Explorer closed and no other applications open within Windows.

- Click Start => Run, type: regedit
    ...and hit Enter.
    - Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER => Software => Microsoft => Internet Explorer.
    - Right-click the Internet Explorer folder in the tree and click Delete.
    - Close the Registry Editor
    - Open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, click Options. Click the Connections tab.
    - Click the LAN Settings button
    - Uncheck the box marked "Automatically Detect Settings" (if checked). Click OK and OK to clear the Internet Options window.

That should correct any settings related problems with IE. Normally I would suspect a problem with the Parallels' network configuration, but if FireFox is OK, chances are that it's just a settings problem with IE.

Although IE is a crappy browser and largely irrelevant, you will need to use it to run Windows Updates which are important to keep current.

I printed out your suggestions and that didn't work either sooo....I think my problem is probably in Parallels setting for internet. I only have my iMac 20 with Parallels and Windows XP installed. What internet connection to you suggest would be best. I have spent days on this issue...

Thread Information